All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM

Default Permanent Split Capacitor (PSC) Motor Modified for Speed Control?

I am trying to mod. a permanent split-capacitor motor so I can have variable speed control. my friend suggested that I could probably try using a junction box and PWM light-dimmer switch, but I don't really know how the motor would like that. This is a 3.5 Amp rated motor used in a squirrel cage type blower. I know that there are specialized Variable Frequency Drives used in HVAC, but don't want to spend that kind of money. Does anyone know of a way I can add a cheap (less than $30 USD) control system? If i could get two or even three speed settings I would be golden.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:55 AM

I'd love to find a solution to this problem, I'm restoring a 20-year old Bodine Electric PSC motor for use on a vibraphone, to which I don't have the controller circuit. I need to rebuild it, speed control and all. Huh boy...

Please help us, anybody?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Dyslexicbloke

With a PSC blower you can just drop the voltage, autotransformers and variacs are comonplace in older HVAC installations. You can still get the 3 speed autotransformer type new.

Given that your current is so low a speed control board , 0-10V input typically, would not cost too much and would be doing the same jod as a high current dimmer board, which would probably be even cheaper.
(I think velleman do a kit, but you'd have to check the specs.)
Al
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 AM

Location: Oklahoma City, OK. Large enough to be modern but plenty of country left around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexicbloke View Post
With a PSC blower you can just drop the voltage, autotransformers and variacs are comonplace in older HVAC installations. You can still get the 3 speed autotransformer type new.

Given that your current is so low a speed control board , 0-10V input typically, would not cost too much and would be doing the same jod as a high current dimmer board, which would probably be even cheaper.
(I think velleman do a kit, but you'd have to check the specs.)
Al
Whatever you use, if it's a light dimmer type circuit be sure it's rated for inductive loads such as fan motors.
I very often misspell or miss things while making posts so come back and double check a few times.
I also have a full time job and often 10 projects going on at the same time so I'm not always online.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Dyslexicbloke

Good point ..... Sorry, I should have specified what specs.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , , , , , , , ,