8-bit Binary to 3 X 7-segment Display

vh_man

Joined May 10, 2010
Hello All,

Just wondering how I would be able to display the full 0-256 value of an 8-bit binary number in 3 7-segment displays. I understand slightly that I would have to convert the 8-bit number into BCD, then send that to a 7-segment display driver (3 of them, or one of them muxed to three and a clock of some kind)

Just wondering how I would go about this without using a microcontroller, as I want to do it with discrete components.

For the record, I simply want a 0-255 decimal reading off of an A/D converter.

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hello.

I did this a while ago. it is on here somewhere. I used an EPROM and a couple of other chips. I think it was four digits and 14 bit, but you can leave off a digit. I did the PCB and everything. If you can not find it, let me know. If you want an EPROM programmed for it, I can do that for you and send it off.

Yes I found it... I posted it on 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM. You should be able to find it.

Daniel.

Last edited:

Novell2NT

Joined Dec 15, 2016
Lightingman

I am trying to complete my SAP-1 with a nice 3 digit display of an 8 bit binary input. I have a 8051 microcontroller and a programmer
but no experience in programming a microcontroller.
Can you point me to the project that you posted that has something to do with this?

Thank you2016-09-09_16-08-31.jpg