Can not read schematics.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The circuits are extremely cheap and simple. They use 27MHz so the antennas are very long or the range is very short.
All the receiver does is turn something on if the transmitter is turned on nearby or if there is interference.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi.

That's all I need.

This is what I want:
I'm a lazy guy, and I sometimes forget to close the garage door. I want to build a gadget that sends a signal, preferable RF, when I have forgotten to close the door. Inside the house, I want to have a little display, with one LED. This LED lights up when the door is open, and is off, when the door is closed. When the door is open, it will close the circuit, and a signal is sent.

Any comments, suggestions or advice?

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
As it is a simple 'signal sensor' switch, it may well be operated by any signal on or near that frequency - radio controlled toys, CB radios, some cordless phones etc..

Anything to do with security or safety (like the door not closing as you are driving in or out) is usually coded so random transmissions are ignored.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Any comments, suggestions or advice?
If it were me and I was in my house, I'd find it much easier to just use a microswitch, some wire, an LED, resistor, and a wall wart. Now, I understand that if your garage is quite a ways from the house, running the wire might be the problem, so this might be why you want to use RF. Even in this case, one other thing to think about would be to add a laser pointer and a photodiode and perhaps a transistor or comparator. You could mount the laser to turn on and shine towards the house when the door is open. Use the photodiode to detect the signal and turn on an LED. Mount things up high so someone doesn't get the laser in their eye. While this is more work, I suspect it would be a tad easier than getting an RF transmitter/receiver setup to work.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
You are absolutely right. The garage is just next door to the house. It would be much easier to just use wires, but... you know...

The laser idea was quite good. Where can I get one?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
If you still want to use RF, there are some hobby level RF modules you can get... check out this site >> http://www.rentron.com/ for different pre made modules or components to put your own RF tx/rx circuit together.

B. Morse