All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Default Basic Magneto Wiring Diagram Help

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

I'm trying to find out what the simplest wiring diagram is for getting a magneto (like running off an engine) to produce electricity for running lights (head, tail, et al).

I just need to know the order of how the components of how should be assembled and a brief explanation of what each does and how they benefit the entire circuit in the end. (magneto, rectifier, regulator, bulb, et al).

Thanks everyone,
Vasile
Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Expert Member

Hello Vasile,

I'm sorry, but after long and careful consideration by the Board staff members, a decision was recently made to prohibit all discussions of motor vehicle related projects on this board.

This is due to the real safety hazards and potential legal issues that may be involved when people who were not specifically trained as automotive electrical engineers make recommendations for people who are not specifically trained and certified to build and install automotive-type projects.

The only recommendation that we can make is to have your vehicle professionally maintained just as it was originally configured when delivered by the dealer, as at that time it was in compliance with all safety, transportation department regulations and emissions laws.

This policy may sound a bit over-restrictive, but it was the only logical decision that could be arrived at. I am not a member of the staff here, but I wholeheartedly agree with their decision.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtWookie View Post
Hello Vasile,

I'm sorry, but after long and careful consideration by the Board staff members, a decision was recently made to prohibit all discussions of motor vehicle related projects on this board.

This is due to the real safety hazards and potential legal issues that may be involved when people who were not specifically trained as automotive electrical engineers make recommendations for people who are not specifically trained and certified to build and install automotive-type projects.

The only recommendation that we can make is to have your vehicle professionally maintained just as it was originally configured when delivered by the dealer, as at that time it was in compliance with all safety, transportation department regulations and emissions laws.

This policy may sound a bit over-restrictive, but it was the only logical decision that could be arrived at. I am not a member of the staff here, but I wholeheartedly agree with their decision.
SGT., do you know if this policy was made to keep Toyota from getting help curing their problems? Or to prevent them from getting new "drive by wire" ideas?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Expert Member

I don't know - I wasn't privy to those discussions.

But, I'm pretty certain that the recent Toyota debacle figured heavily in their discussions.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtWookie View Post
Hello Vasile,

I'm sorry SGT, I wasn't aware. But the thing is my motorcycle was made in Russia in during or right after WWII:

I only wanted to know the sequence of components would be for an electric circuit powered by a magneto...

Vasile
Old 04-15-2010, 06:36 AM

A Magneto is a high voltage generator, intended solely as an ignition system for the spark plugs.

They are not intended to produce any real amout of power and connecting even a small lamp would simply stop the engine as there would be no spark.

Bikes of that age would typically have a separate dynamo or alternator for lighting, when fitted.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 AM

It that electric start? What a honey.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 PM

The pic of the bike is rather small, but it does appear to have a headlight - if it does, what type is it - a carbide lamp?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 PM

It may be a candle holder with a windscreen...
Old 04-16-2010, 12:45 AM

Sweet Bike! You've got quite a project on your hands.

Have you tried antique motorcycle user's groups. They have all sorts of information and manuals for old stuff that may be helpful, even if not for your particular model. Also a great resource for finding (or making) parts.

Good luck to you!

BTW - is that a hole in the piston or just a carbon deposit?
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet AC motor control circuits
Video Lecture Physical System Hierarchy - Electronic Systems
Video Lecture System Notations - Electronic Systems