Basic Magneto Wiring Diagram Help

conqueror

Joined Apr 10, 2010
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

I'm trying to find out what the simplest wiring diagram is for getting a magneto (like running off an engine) to produce electricity for running lights (head, tail, et al).

I just need to know the order of how the components of how should be assembled and a brief explanation of what each does and how they benefit the entire circuit in the end. (magneto, rectifier, regulator, bulb, et al).

Thanks everyone,
Vasile

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello Vasile,

I'm sorry, but after long and careful consideration by the Board staff members, a decision was recently made to prohibit all discussions of motor vehicle related projects on this board.

This is due to the real safety hazards and potential legal issues that may be involved when people who were not specifically trained as automotive electrical engineers make recommendations for people who are not specifically trained and certified to build and install automotive-type projects.

The only recommendation that we can make is to have your vehicle professionally maintained just as it was originally configured when delivered by the dealer, as at that time it was in compliance with all safety, transportation department regulations and emissions laws.

This policy may sound a bit over-restrictive, but it was the only logical decision that could be arrived at. I am not a member of the staff here, but I wholeheartedly agree with their decision.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hello Vasile,

I'm sorry, but after long and careful consideration by the Board staff members, a decision was recently made to prohibit all discussions of motor vehicle related projects on this board.

This is due to the real safety hazards and potential legal issues that may be involved when people who were not specifically trained as automotive electrical engineers make recommendations for people who are not specifically trained and certified to build and install automotive-type projects.

The only recommendation that we can make is to have your vehicle professionally maintained just as it was originally configured when delivered by the dealer, as at that time it was in compliance with all safety, transportation department regulations and emissions laws.

This policy may sound a bit over-restrictive, but it was the only logical decision that could be arrived at. I am not a member of the staff here, but I wholeheartedly agree with their decision.
SGT., do you know if this policy was made to keep Toyota from getting help curing their problems? Or to prevent them from getting new "drive by wire" ideas?:D:D:)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I don't know - I wasn't privy to those discussions. ;)

But, I'm pretty certain that the recent Toyota debacle figured heavily in their discussions.

conqueror

Joined Apr 10, 2010
Hello Vasile,

I'm sorry SGT, I wasn't aware. But the thing is my motorcycle was made in Russia in during or right after WWII:

I only wanted to know the sequence of components would be for an electric circuit powered by a magneto...

Vasile

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
A Magneto is a high voltage generator, intended solely as an ignition system for the spark plugs.

They are not intended to produce any real amout of power and connecting even a small lamp would simply stop the engine as there would be no spark.

Bikes of that age would typically have a separate dynamo or alternator for lighting, when fitted.

Sweet Bike! You've got quite a project on your hands.

Have you tried antique motorcycle user's groups. They have all sorts of information and manuals for old stuff that may be helpful, even if not for your particular model. Also a great resource for finding (or making) parts.

Good luck to you!:)

BTW - is that a hole in the piston or just a carbon deposit?

conqueror

Joined Apr 10, 2010
You can click on the thumbnail and it'll take you to photobucket where I have the full picture uploaded.

I have tried other such biker forums, but I figured I'd try a circuits forum as well.

"a Dnepr?".....I think it's an M72 Ural from the 1950s...

"The pic of the bike is rather small, but it does appear to have a headlight - if it does, what type is it - a carbide lamp?".....I don't know exactly, the bulb is missing, but it's supposed to have a lo-hi beam bulb-in-one, incandescent I think

"BTW - is that a hole in the piston or just a carbon deposit?".....it is just a carbon deposit, but I feared it was a hole too the first time I saw it.

"They are not intended to produce any real amout of power and connecting even a small lamp would simply stop the engine as there would be no spark."......Well, it's got two points where the ignition wires would connect and then there's a red wire coming out of the side of the casing. I figure this is the positive from a mini step-down transformer inside, since you can just use the chassis of the bike as a ground.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
My experience with magnetos is mostly with the Joe Hunt.
Still running strong on my 1947 Knucklehead I bought in 1968.

much valuable magneto information here.
This is a link to Bosch Magneto service manuals.
It is not easy to navigate through but touches on many types.
an education in itself.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/MagData6.htm

even better info
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/Petrolmag.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/MagData11.htm

Last edited:

conqueror

Joined Apr 10, 2010
My experience with magnetos is mostly with the Joe Hunt.
Still running strong on my 1947 Knucklehead I bought in 1968.

much valuable magneto information here.
This is a link to Bosch Magneto service manuals.
It is not easy to navigate through but touches on many types.
an education in itself.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/MagData6.htm

even better info
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/Petrolmag.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/MagData11.htm
Thanks very much, VoodooMojo!

Vasile

conqueror

Joined Apr 10, 2010
Please be careful while in Romania. Things look pretty shakey at this point.
At least get the bike out alive!
No need to worry, I'm Romanian! :D I don't know what you mean by things looking shakey (except for that damn ash cloud), but I tend to stick to the country-side and the mountains....I've had enough of cities.

Vasile

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
No need to worry, I'm Romanian! :D I don't know what you mean by things looking shakey (except for that damn ash cloud), but I tend to stick to the country-side and the mountains....I've had enough of cities.

Vasile
a relative of mine is working with GE erecting 140 wind turbines for the Fantanele and Cogealac windfarm projects in Romania. In Constanta county.
She says the project and others are shutting down for no apparent reason and most all are scrambling to get back to the states. As of late all the locals' attitudes have turned ugly towards Americans.
Might be something to do with the missile thing.
This and the dirt cloud thing has raised the anxiety level for her.

I hope all ends well for her, and for you also.