change the PCB board size in Eagle

vinodquilon

Joined Dec 24, 2009
How can I change the PCB board size in Eagle .brd file, so that I can construct large boards ?
Is it a proper way to use 'move' tool to adjust corners, thus can increase board size ?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
yes, you just move the borders, but if you are using the free version, you may not get it much bigger than the default size.

B. Morse

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:

The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
The schematic editor can only create one sheet.

You can still do a lot with a board that small.

If you can't fit everything within that size, then you'll need to break your schematic up into smaller circuits, and use connectors between the boards.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
One somewhat odd thing about Eagle is that the border of the board doesn't start off snapped to the grid.

You can snap it to the grid by holding down the Ctrl button while left-clicking on the corners of the board. I suggest that you set the grid to 0.1 inch or 100 mils while doing so.

When routing, I'll usually leave the grid set to 0.05" or 50 mils. If you turn the grid completely off, or set it to really fine increments, you'll wind up with a messy looking board.

I avoid using the freehand angle for routing. I usually use the 45° tool, but most of my routing is vertical or horizontal. You can "box yourself in" very quickly if you start routing long diagonals.