Project: Mini project: ringlight for camera

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you ever try to take a picture close with a camera?
The flash is most times to bright or shadows do not show all parts.
I have made a "quick and dirty" ringlight using 8 vishay leds.

The schematic is very simple:
The current for the leds is set to about 25 - 30 mA.
The leds are capable to handle 50 mA.

The construction is also kept simple:

The results are nice:

With flash:

With the ringlight:

All pictures are taken with my cell phone.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Ring lights do work really good when trying to take macro shots of items.... I have been working with a high speed imaging system for our machines and I use a ring light with it to get better images without too many shadowed areas.... one thing I would suggest, just from experience with ring lights, I would suggest adding a couple of red LED's to the circuit (one on each corner opposite each other), you will notice a much more crisper image when you use the red with the white....
ring light2a.jpg

Ring Light.jpg
B. Morse

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Thanks for the replies.
@ BMorse, I will have a look at the red leds when I scale it up a bit.

I have done some more tests with the ringlight on a shiny PCB.

With Flash:

With the ring ( this is very shiny):

With a piece of paper as a diffuser ( this affects the total picture):

Any idea's on make the shiny stuff better?

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats it! BMorse: I want a blood sample!

How the? Who in th? Where do you?

Anything you don't have time for?

Bertus, You can spray some hairspray on the leds a couple of coats to diffuse the light more. The stronger the light, the sharper the reflection. But looks good. And good idea.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Hello,

Thanks for the replies.
@ BMorse, I will have a look at the red leds when I scale it up a bit.

I have done some more tests with the ringlight on a shiny PCB.

With Flash:

With the ring ( this is very shiny):

With a piece of paper as a diffuser ( this affects the total picture):

Greetings,
Bertus
You could improve on the shots with shiny stuff if you can auto adjust the "flash time". With these high speed cameras I am using they have a function where they take a sample shot and do some auto calibrations by sampling the reflected light to adjust the "flash time" or the brightness of the LED's.... I am not sure if you are using any kind of "driver" circuit for the ring light but if you are using a uc, maybe you can add a CDS photocell to sample the reflected light and auto calibrate from that.

B. Morse

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Thats it! BMorse: I want a blood sample!

How the? Who in th? Where do you?

Anything you don't have time for?

Bertus, You can spray some hairspray on the leds a couple of coats to diffuse the light more. The stronger the light, the sharper the reflection. But looks good. And good idea.
Sleep is the only thing I am lacking time for:D!! But I figured I will get enough of that when my time comes....

As for the blood sample, I am not sure if that would do you any good even for cloning, copies never come out exactly the same as the original, have you seen the movie multiplicity??:D

B. Morse

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
You've got to change the angle of the lighting to avoid specular reflection (i.e., there's no way of getting around the physics). The ring light and the flash won't work for such subjects.

A light tent is one common way of avoiding this type of reflection, but you can also use white foam construction board, white styrofoam board, etc. Tracing paper or frosted mylar sheet can make good diffusers.

One trick is to put your camera off the normal to the reflective surface, say 30 to 40 degrees off. Let it shoot with the flash and put a diffuse reflector on the opposite side to help reflect the flash to the sides away from the lens. Then many bitmap editing programs such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop have tools to correct the perspective distortion. Don't zoom in too much if you're going to correct the perspective. I also have to correct a bit of barrel distortion with my little camera when it's zoomed all the way out.

Lighting is one of the key secrets to good photography (good composition is another; the camera is one of the least important). Take a look at a good glossy magazine (the Martha Stewart magazine my wife gets is a good example) and look at the photography in the ads. You'll learn a lot about how the pros light their subjects -- look at the reflections in the specular objects, then try to emulate what they're doing (improvise with stuff around the house).