Stereo to Mono - Need some assistance

Bill P

Joined Mar 21, 2010
I am just a lay person, but somewhat familiar with wiring, etc. I need some assistance on wiring my stereo receiver to mono speakers throughout my home. Here's the situation:

The home we recently purchased has single speakers mounted in the ceiling in various rooms of the house. There is only one speaker located in each of the rooms. I have located my stereo receiver adjacent to where all of the lead wires to each speaker terminates. I'd like to use my stereo receiver to feed the mono speakers throughout the house, but am not sure what I need to do to make that transition. Can someone help me with this? :confused:

Thanks.

Bill

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the problems is your amplifier driving the speakers. You may need a separate amplifier to do what you want, otherwise you have the outputs of your stereo feeding each other. Is this a problem?

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
Does the receiver have a 'Mono' switch?

The simplest and safest way is to wire the two channels seperately and use a mono signal so both output channels get the same signal.

Bill P

Joined Mar 21, 2010
This would not be a problem. I would just need to know what to get or where to go to get such a piece of equipment.

Bill P

Joined Mar 21, 2010
Yes, the receiver has a mono switch. If I place it in the mono position, what happens to the signals going out on the pairs of + - A and + - B speaker channels? Does the receiver combine them into a single mono signal? The instructions that came with the receiver do not address this.

Thanks.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Frequently the "mono" switch only turns FM stereo into mono and lets the other sources play in stereo. A simple mixer circuit made with 2 or 3 resistors can convert stereo into mono but with some loss of gain.

What type of circuit is used to connect all the speakers together so that their added impedance is not like a dead short to the output of the amplifier that expects to drive 8 ohms?
In a PA system each speaker has its own transformer so that it is a fairly high impedance to the amplifier then many can be driven.