All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 PM

Default How to increase amps on 12v DC

I know nothing when it comes to electrical stuff and i am wondering how i can increase the amps of 12v DC
Old 09-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Could you be a little bit more specific? No one probably understands what you mean. Do you mean increasing current capability of a DC power supply?
Or you mean increasing current in a constant DC voltage circuit?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Gadget

I assume you are talking about a plug pack, or Bench supply.
The maximum current (amps) is limited by the size of the mains transformer and regulator, and most supplies can't be modified without a total rebuild.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 AM

im talking about on a vehicle im pretty much coming straight from the battery. Im doing a project an im looking into electrolysis of water and separating it into HHO. There is already a product on the market that claims it can raise amps during more load on the vehicle http://www.fuelfromh2o.com/how-it-works.html , but i cant figure out how he's doing it. I was just at an attempt to create my own.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:30 PM

The part I like most from the linked page above is this:

Quote:
A fallacy out there is that it takes more energy to produce the HHO than the energy it releases.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Raise amps from a given voltage source by lowering resistance.

An ordinary car battery will provide plenty amperage for electrolysis. If you need more still, hook up a second battery in parallel.

Please excersise all appropriate safety precautions - hydrogen explosions maim and kill.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingmaker3 View Post
Raise amps from a given voltage source by lowering resistance.

An ordinary car battery will provide plenty amperage for electrolysis. If you need more still, hook up a second battery in parallel.

Please excersise all appropriate safety precautions - hydrogen explosions maim and kill.
I just donīt understand this "much more efficient" design.
If I use the energy from the battery to create H2 + O2 to add it to the fuel, then I recharge the battery from alternator (generator?) where is any improvement?
The energy balance in the system just gets worse, so if I were to run such a car, how often will I have to recharge the battery?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:29 PM

Hi,

Practical considerations like how to dissolve the hydrogen and oxygen in the fule aside, You can't get more energy out of a system than you put into it.

This is just another perpetual motion device. It's more impressive than placing a magnet on the fuel line to improve mileage, but it's no more likely to work.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Gadget

Use electricity to make fuel, burn the fuel to make more electricity, use the electricity to make fuel etc etc.... ever deminishing circles. Another energy source is required to just keep the system ticking over.
Like "beenthere" says.... "Perpetual Motion".... and there is a heap of them on the web.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubeek View Post
I just donīt understand this "much more efficient" design.
If I use the energy from the battery to create H2 + O2 to add it to the fuel, then I recharge the battery from alternator (generator?) where is any improvement?
The energy balance in the system just gets worse, so if I were to run such a car, how often will I have to recharge the battery?
Your alternator will constantly be recharging your battery...its not like you are using every ounce of energy that the battery is to hold.....The alternator will always recharge your battery anyway so why not create your own fuel from that left over electricity
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Batteries
Worksheet Energy, Work, and Power
Worksheet Sources of electricity
Textbook Practical considerations : Batteries And Power Systems