All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 AM

Default run the spindle motor

hey....i am in need of a circuit(external) to run the spindle motor of an old hard drive using a battery.please suggest me a circuit
Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanthyk192 View Post
hey....i am in need of a circuit(external) to run the spindle motor of an old hard drive using a battery.please suggest me a circuit

In order for it to spin, you will need to provide the drive with +5 and +12 volts DC... given the hard drive still works....
Disclaimer: The example programs,circuits, projects and information I provide or post on this web site are for educational purposes only. By copying anything from this site posted by me, you agree to the "as is" nature of the programs, circuits, information and to the statements listed in this disclaimer.No warranty or liability is expressed or implied. Working with AC /DC voltages can be dangerous and even deadly. Proceed at your own risk!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM

i actually want the motor for one of my projects & it is necessery that i run with a battery using a controller circuit.so plese suggest a circuit.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanthyk192 View Post
i actually want the motor for one of my projects & it is necessery that i run with a battery using a controller circuit.so plese suggest a circuit.

So you want to run a 12 volt motor off of batteries?? What type of batteries are you going to be using? Even with some D cell batteries, they would not last long running a 12 volt motor. And most of those motors are a 3 wire stepper type motor.... good luck controlling that with batteries..... I hope you have a backpack to carry all those batteries to run that small motor....
Disclaimer: The example programs,circuits, projects and information I provide or post on this web site are for educational purposes only. By copying anything from this site posted by me, you agree to the "as is" nature of the programs, circuits, information and to the statements listed in this disclaimer.No warranty or liability is expressed or implied. Working with AC /DC voltages can be dangerous and even deadly. Proceed at your own risk!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 AM

okay,if it requires 12V then i could power it with with an ac adapter I already have.but giving 5V as well as 12V at a time is pretty difficult as i dont have an SMPS,and moreover i dont get to control the speed of motor using the circuit board of the hard disk.so,i'm searching a circuit.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Expert Member

I think hard drive motors are BLDC's nowadays (Brushless DC motors) - they're actually run by 3-phase power.

See if you can read the part numbers from IC's near the motor connector. The motor connection harness will probably look like a ribbon with 4 wires/traces in it.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 AM

If you can manage taking the motor driver off the board, and you know it works, its easy.
none of them require more than a few pull up resistors, and bootstrap capacitor(s).
Most are only good to 3 watts.
I have found most to be controlled via a custom digital link, and the datasheets to be quite informative.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM

I don't know what kind of hard drives everybody uses, but most of them nowadays are 3 wire, and they can not just be connected to power, the control IC is a 100 Pin QFP....

HDD1.jpg

Hdd2.jpg

HDD3.jpg

HDD4.jpg
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtWookie View Post
I think hard drive motors are BLDC's nowadays (Brushless DC motors) - they're actually run by 3-phase power.

See if you can read the part numbers from IC's near the motor connector. The motor connection harness will probably look like a ribbon with 4 wires/traces in it.
i tried tracing the leads of the motor,but the circuit is multilayered and i could'nt trace the leads to the control IC as the leads are inbetween the two outer layers and not visible clearly.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMorse View Post
I don't know what kind of hard drives everybody uses, but most of them nowadays are 3 wire, and they can not just be connected to power, the control IC is a 100 Pin QFP....

Attachment 15874

Attachment 15875

Attachment 15876

Attachment 15877
the HDD i have has a four lead stepper.I also found it is a star connection.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Protective relay circuits
Worksheet Latch circuits
Worksheet Servo motor systems
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors as switches
Textbook Credits : Contributor List
Worksheet AC motor control circuits
Worksheet AC motor theory