meter

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
A "True RMS" AC meter will give the correct readings when the input is not sinusoidal.

Other AC meters only measure the average voltage and assume the input is a sine wave and then scale the reading to give the "RMS" value.

A common non-sinusoidal voltage is the output from a triac light dimmer. A true RMS meter will give the correct RMS voltage (the heating effect) an ordinary meter will give an incorrect reading.

This is also true for AC currents.

This has nothing do do with measuring frequency (if the meter also does this).

Last edited:

electronics1

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Thanks JDT
I have some questions
What is the words meaning of TRUE RMS ?
What parameters the measures are incorrect in other words they don't have input of sin waves ?
What parameters the measures are correct in other words they have input of sin waves?
I used the multi meter to measure consumer that used 110 volt

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Thanks JDT
I have some questions
What is the words meaning of TRUE RMS ?
What parameters the measures are incorrect in other words they don't have input of sin waves ?
What parameters the measures are correct in other words they have input of sin waves?
I used the multi meter to measure consumer that used 110 volt
"RMS" is an acronym for "root mean square". You can get an explanation here.

Be aware that meters that are capable of making RMS measurements can differ quite a bit in their capabilities. To get correct readings, you need to know the bandwidth of the signal you're measuring, the bandwidth of the meter, and the crest factor specification of the meter.

Sorry, I don't understand your other questions.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You get very,very detailed in your all your questions,
Your meter can measure scope reading if you know how.
Your meter can preform better than most wants to fool with.
There about 4 members that knows every thing that a meter will
do.

electronics1

Joined Aug 21, 2009
How I can calculate RMS power in a wave that isn't a sinusoidal wave ?
JDT, Can you explain what you write ?

Last edited:

thyristor

Joined Dec 27, 2009
What is true RMS ?

Did the true RMS make difference for measurement with multi meter for frequency OR voltage OR amperage ?
Most meters measure the average value of an assumed sinusoidal wave. This equates to 1/∏Sinθ.dθ from 0 to ∏ which works out to be 2/∏ or 0.64 x the peak value. Since the RMS value is 0.707 x Vpk then the meter merely has some scaling circuitry which multiplies the average value by 0.707/0.64 = 1.11

So, for sinusoids, the average reading is taken, multiplied by 1.11, internally to the meter, and the resulting "RMS" value displayed.

But what if we are measuring a square wave? Well the RMS value and the average value of a (symetrical about zero) square wave are both Vpk. So your meter will take the average value (Vpk) multiply it by 1.11 to get 1.11Vpk and display this as the RMS value which is thus incorrect.

Even a "true RMS" meter will only read the true RMS value if it is symmetrical about the zero axis (ie: no DC component). True RMS meters are AC coupled to ensure this occurs.

If your wave does happen to have a DC component then you have to first measure the RMS value of the AC component. Then, measure the waveform on the DC scale. Then combine the AC and DC components by squaring each, adding, and then extracting the square root. Some very high end meters have a function called AC + DC which essentially do that calculation for you.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If it is a proper true RMS multimeter it should measure correct RMS, as long as the signal is within the instrument specification range. I think that is the best answer you can get. Many digital scopes have a function for measuring RMS. You could perhaps compare your multimeter readings with the scope readings. They should be quite similar.