All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Pioneer RT 1020L Reel to Reel Tape Recorder

Yes I still like to record on reel to reel. I have three of them,different models and they all work fine except for one. Model RT 1020L plays back just fine but it does not record. It receives the signal but does not record. The relays work. Any ideas on what could be the problem? It also does not erase. I would like to fix it myself. Thanks
E.X.G.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM

could it be the recording head is bad?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Hello,

Are there two heads in the tape recorder?
Of so, one is fed with a high frequency signal to "wipe" the tape, the other is used for recording (normaly the playback head).

Greetings,
Bertus

It would be nice to have the Timezone ( GMT +/- x ) in the location field in the profile.
(User CP -> Edit Your Details)
Old 01-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Expert Member

Nice deck!

The first thing you'll need is a service manual.
You can download one for free here:
http://www.free-service-manuals.com/...Manual_L76822/
but you'll have to register.

Hopefully, it's just something in the recording head driver circuit, not the recording head itself.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 PM

I thought of that Dom and you might be right. That would also go for the erase head I suppose. Do you know how to test them? I will try some electronic stores to see who sells tape recorder heads but first I will figure out how to test them. Thanks
E.X.G.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM

There are three heads. The erase head, record head and playback head. I believe thats what they are. Thanks Bertus.
E.X.G
Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks Sgt Wookie. I am waiting for the manual. Yes it is a fine machine and I am glad you appreciate it. Hopefully the problem is easy to fix. The heads are not worn at all. On top of all that I will have some good reading material that will be very useful. Thanks
E.X.G.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Expert Member

As you probably know, they introduced that model in 1973, and ceased production in 1978. That means the components are at least 32 years old. Your prime suspects will be electrolytic capacitors, as these will lose their dielectric as they age. Often, the electrolyte will leak out or simply dry up if the hermetic seal wasn't perfect.

Sometimes they'll blow up and spew their contents on surrounding circuitry. This happens if they've been sitting for a long time and their dielectric strength has weakened; then suddenly power is applied and the high current through the cap causes the electrolyte to boil, creating pressure inside the cap housing.

A good preventative measure is to replace all of the old electrolytic caps with fresh ones from a high-volume distributor, like Mouser, Digikey, Allied, etc.

Sometimes you can re-form old electrolytics, if the electrolyte hasn't leaked or dried out. I just replied to a thread about this yesterday, in this forum. That thread is here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/sh...ad.php?t=32195

Old resistors are another problem. The old cylindrical brown-body carbon resistors have a tendency to change their resistance over time. I have a bunch of those kinds of resistors that were made in the 70's and early 80's; they were originally 1% tolerance, and many are not even close to what they should be. The newer carbon film type that look like little beige dumbbells seem to hold their values quite well. I have quite a few of these that are 15 or more years old, and are still well within their tolerance.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM

Default SgtWookie

Thanks. Always glad to read you responses. I got my first one in 1976 from a friend of mine that bought his while he was in Viet Nam. That one still works just fine and I still use it for various home musical recordings. On this model all the electrolitics look fine as if they were brand new but it does not change the fact that they are old. So now I have a fine repair project ahead of me. By the way the folks at free service manual asked me if I was serious. I said, Yes. I might just have to work on instinct and trial and error. Thanks
E.X.G.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 PM

do the erase heads pull out of the way on playback and then redeploy on record?
could be something in that assembly.
and does that model have playback in the reverse mode?

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Memory devices