All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Default Full wave 3 phase rectifier

Hello,

Here's a scenario:

You have a 3 phase full wave power rectifier with one SCR open circuited (not firing).

What is the effect on the load?

Is it possible that this condition would cause abnormal heat buildup if the load was a battery being charged?

I'm also trying to understand the current flow - current rating relationship of the components. For example, we are using 3500amp SCRs w/ 4000 amp fuses on a piece of equipment that will conduct 8000+ amps (electroplating). How would I determine what current rating is required based on total current draw?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 PM

It would seem like you have gone from a 3 phase FWB rectifier to a single phase FWB. You should have a reduction in output voltage to about 73% of normal with a correspondingly lower current (If the load is unchanged). Your plating solution determines your current draw, correct? Take some voltage readings and give us some data to look at, as I'm just giving you an educated guess.

Last edited by Duane P Wetick; 12-23-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Error in computation
Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 AM

I doubt seriously that you would see a 73% reduction in output with one of 6 SCRs not firing. The SCRs are fired in pairs so you would only loose, at most, 1/3 of your output. In a plating operation, the ideal situation is to have a very smooth current supply, otherwise, whiskers and other bad things happen to the finish, if I recall properly. As for using the source as a battery charger, again, there would be a reduction of current every 120 degrees of your input frequency. Draw out your normal 3 phase rectified ripple signal then eleminate every third bump and you can see the effect.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Here are two simulations. First with all 6 rectifiers in the circuit and the second with one missing. As it turns out, you would get 4 bumps, miss 2, then get four, etc. In my first post, I forgot about full wave giving double frequency on ripple.. Old age brain toot.
Attached Images
File Type: png Image1.png (24.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Thyristor application circuits
Textbook The Silicon-Controlled Rectifier (SCR) : Thyristors
Video Lecture Power Supplies - Applications - Diodes and Diode Circuits
Textbook Rectifier circuits : Diodes And Rectifiers