All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Default what is the maximum allowed alternator voltage?

Hi,

Today I took my Ford focus car to garrage for servicing and MOT. The guy told me that the alternator needs to be replaced as it is producing 14.9 volts power. Do we have any upper limit for the voltage?
Could anyone suggest me if it really needs to be changed? as it costs more than £150?

Thanks for the help.

Babu
Old 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Check this article:

http://www.carbasics.co.uk/How_to_te...alternator.htm
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Expert Member

14.9v is quite high. I would check the battery voltage after the car has been sitting with the engine off for at least 4 hours. It should measure about 12.7v to 12.9v when fully charged.

£150 sounds about the going rate for an alternator replaced by a mechanic.

However, if you are handy with tools, it is not very difficult to replace the regulator module in the alternator. It is much less expensive if you do it yourself; I'd guess you could fix it for about £10 if you already have the tools. However, I have no idea how mechanically inclined you might be.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 PM

A lot of the newer alternators especially on smaller cheaper cars have the regulator integral to the alternator. It's not always replaceable. Sometimes riveted in, some are even molded into the endcap of the alternator.
Roman Black - PICs and electronics. Author of BTc PIC-sound encoder, Shift1-LCD project, the TalkBotBrain talking PIC controller, LiniStepper open-source microstepping motor driver, the Black Regulator 2-transistor SMPS, and probably some other stuff; www.RomanBlack.com
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Default Thanks for the useful advise.

Thanks for the useful advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtWookie View Post
14.9v is quite high. I would check the battery voltage after the car has been sitting with the engine off for at least 4 hours. It should measure about 12.7v to 12.9v when fully charged.

£150 sounds about the going rate for an alternator replaced by a mechanic.

However, if you are handy with tools, it is not very difficult to replace the regulator module in the alternator. It is much less expensive if you do it yourself; I'd guess you could fix it for about £10 if you already have the tools. However, I have no idea how mechanically inclined you might be.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Maybe this will help
http://www.homepower.com/search/resu...horname=&issue=
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Expert Member

Here is a thread on another forum directly related to alternator problems in the Ford Focus:
http://autoforums.carjunky.com/Autom...placed_P34404/

It appears from statements made in the thread that the alternator output is controlled by "a computer", not a regulator internal to the alternator. What computer this might be was not explained.

I don't know; I've never worked on a Ford Focus.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,