ID'ing 5-Band Resistors

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
So there are several resistors in a circuit i am trying to replicate and i am having trouble deciphering the final values to each one. i am using the hobby-hour.com resistor calculator and a resistor band value chart as reference but i am still in a world of confusion. first off, on all the resistors except the 4 band white one, it seems that all the bands are all spaced out evenly among the resistor shaft, i cannot tell what end is which based off the space after the first band since there is none. does anyone know of any other way to go about finding out which end is which? resistor number 3 on the chart below read out as a palindrome so that seemed to be easy to figure out but im still unsure if its right or wrong...

Resistor #1-5 Band(blue): BROWN, RED, BLACK, YELLOW, BLUE
Resistor #2-5 Band(blue): BROWN, YELLOW, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN
Resistor #3-5 Band(blue): BROWN, BLACK, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN=100 OHM/ 1%
Resistor #4-5 Band(blue): BROWN, ORANGE, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN
Resistor #5-5 Band(blue): BROWN, ORANGE, BLACK, GREEN, BROWN
Resistor #6-5 Band(blue): BROWN, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN, BROWN
Resistor #7-5 Band(blue): BROWN, RED, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN
Resistor #8-4 Band(white): GOLD, BLUE, BLACK, BROWN

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I've put the relevant numbers after your text. The last digit is multiplier (number of zeros to add). They were all easy enough but you had some reversed.

Check that first entry, see if it is yellow-purple-black-red-brown. Blue for tolerance like you wrote it doesn't seem right.

Resistor #1-5 Band(blue): BROWN, RED, BLACK, YELLOW, BLUE - 1204
Resistor #2-5 Band(blue): BROWN, YELLOW, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN - 1004
Resistor #3-5 Band(blue): BROWN, BLACK, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN=100 OHM/ 1% - 1000
Resistor #4-5 Band(blue): BROWN, ORANGE, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN - 1003
Resistor #5-5 Band(blue): BROWN, ORANGE, BLACK, GREEN, BROWN - 1503
Resistor #6-5 Band(blue): BROWN, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN, BROWN - 1001
Resistor #7-5 Band(blue): BROWN, RED, BLACK, BLACK, BROWN - 1200
Resistor #8-4 Band(white): GOLD, BLUE, BLACK, BROWN - 106

And remember, the ohmeter is your friend! If you lift one leg of a resistor from the PCB you can measure it exactly, but even with both legs in-circuit the ohmeter will give you SOME indication.

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
thanks rb, sarge, and joe! i really appreciate it! i went to the local shop today and picked up these guys. my question is that they all seem to be the same resistor i need, but their base colors are different. does this really matter? for example, the green resistor in the photo is one im using to replicate a resistor on a board with the same 5 bands, but the one on the board is the standard sky blue. would it be ok to replace/replicate it with the green one?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hard to tell from here, but it sort of looks like they may be physcally different sizes.

The sizes they are has to do with power dissipation. If they don't have a high enough wattage rating, they will get hot and fail a lot sooner than they should.

As far as the colors; that's up to you - they don't show up well on my monitor.

Good luck to you.

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
well they all seem to be the same size now that im looking at them, its just that their background colors are different. ill go to the shop tomorrow to see if they can give me a light blue backed resistor as opposed to the green one they gave me just to be sure since that is what im replacing and ill ask them why its green in the first place. thanks again though. i have another seperate problem that is giving me trouble.

i have 3 resistors that i managed to identify and decipher their values but the way these resistors are printed makes it pretty much impossible to tell what end is which since each band is spaced evenly apart. i went ahead and got the values going both ways on the resistor so i guess thats better than nothing. i cant pull the resistors from the circuit to measure them so i was curious if i could tell what value is which out of the 2 values that i got by what other components are surrounding or are connected to that resistor. here is a list of the 3 resistors, their 2 values each, their bands just fyi, and what other components they are immediately connected to. is this at all possible or does it give me a good idea of what value to choose over the other? the circuit is powered by 12v if that matters at all

BROWN-YELLOW-BLACK-BLACK-BROWN=1M or 140 OHM
connected to: 47 ceramic capacitor, 10uf 50v electrolytic capacitor, 47n Film Capacitor

BROWN-ORANGE-BLACK-BLACK-BROWN=100K or 130 OHM
connected to: 47 ceramic capacitor, 10m Resistor

BROWN-BLACK-BLACK-BROWN-BROWN=1K or 110 OHM
connected to: 10pf ceramic capacitor, 10 uf/ 25 v electrolytic capacitor

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
No. The base color does not matter.

Different base color only make it more easy/difficult to distinguish the color bands.
awesome! thanks alot, looks like ill be able to get a little bit of work done. one question just came up, that green resistor in the photo is going brown-black-black-black-brown so its now really hard for me to tell which end is which. does this really matter what end is which when actually installing it?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
But it IS good manners to place them the same way, so the values can easily be read by a person without having the spin the PCB around like a madman. ;)

Likewise if there is a most-likely viewing direction I would put the first band of the resistors to the left. (also with the text on the PCB for best readability). Usually for up down oriented resistors you put the first band at the top.