need help with DM163 Led-Driver iC

Embedded Lover

Joined Dec 22, 2008
Hello every one,
I want to control ( using p89lpc921) the DM163 iC to help in an RGB color system as a led driver.

It has a pulse width modulation unit and other stuff as you know, I really don't understand how it works. I couldn't understand it from the data sheet

and how can i send values to control that and generate led density.

can any one help me ????

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
DM163 looks like a useful chip, 24 channels of PWM out with a serial input. I'd only use 8 bits and see if that is enough. It certainly simplifies things because you can just hardwire SELBK high.
It looks like you can supply the same clock signal to DCK and GCK - GCK needs to be constantly supplied a clock signal to run the PWM.
RST_B looks like it can be left high.
When you want to change the LED brightnesses, just send the bits on S_IN every time DCK/GCK goes high, starting with the MSB (ie bit 7) of the LED on OUT23 and finishing on LSB (bit 0) of OUT0.
Make sure you send exactly 24X8 bits because otherwise the data you wanted to go to OUT23 will be somewhere else.
ie:
set S_IN to OUT23, bit 7
delay
DSK high
delay
delay
DSK low
delay
set S_IN to OUT23, bit 6
delay
DSK high
delay
delay
DSK low
delay
set S_IN to OUT23, bit 5
delay
DSK high
delay
delay
DSK low
delay
set S_IN to OUT23, bit 4
delay
DSK high
delay
delay
DSK low
delay
etc,etc

Then a pulse to LAT_B should update all the brightnesses.

Embedded Lover

Joined Dec 22, 2008
sorry for being late,
I will try this now. but what shuld I do with the 6-bit ? just ignoring them or what ?
They say it is a dot corrction data .. what is that mean ?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I would go for as short as possible as this affects the PWM speed. The max speed of the DM163 is 20MHz, so I don't think you could go too fast.
If you used a separate clock for GCK, then the delay could be shorter.

scu

Joined Jan 9, 2013
hello there...
would anyone please help !
am asking about the same issue DM163.....is there any sample-code for avr studio to make me able to use this DM163 IC ???
am sorry but i got confused about this....just a hint about how to get started with it...
any reply will be helpful.
thanks in advance