1000 Mhz NMR, 23.5 Tesla magnet

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Last edited by a moderator:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The magnet is superconducting.
The current is charged in the coil, then the cryoswitch is closed and the magnet is persistent.
(the current stays in the coil).
To keep the current flowing it is cooled down with liquid helium.
To reach a even lower temperature the magnet is pumped (see the hoses on top).

Greetings,
Bertus

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
What is the application for this super-magnet? I worked for a company which produced a 5 Tesla DC magnet which used liquid helium to cool the coil for superconducting. It was used for separating iron particles from clay slurry used in paper making, in an expanded metal matrix. Unfortunately, the system had a coil failure which allowed the liquid helium (20,000 litres @ $4.00 US / litre) to escape. The system was later converted to a water cooled design.

Regards, DPW

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
High-field NMR is also used for analysis of lipids in body fluids, including lipoproteins for cardiovascular risk assessment.

John

Small world, bertus. I routinely work with a AVIII 750 MHz spectrometer, also a 2K pumped magnet. I'd be interested to learn more about both the superconducting magnet and the spectrometer electronics. It seems to me the console is a precision radio station..except the music is a bit weird.

I think an interesting project for me would be to build a crude NMR spectrometer from a rare-earth magnet and use spin echos to obtain a FID.

Cheers!