All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:14 PM

While I've built many 9VDC solid-state projects (think effects for guitar players), I'm starting to test the waters on making some tube-driven devices. I was looking over some old schematics and kept seeing a reference to an "HT" attached to the plates of the tubes (usually ECC83s or similar) in the schems. I know it's a transformer reference, but what, exactly, does the "HT" mean?

Thanks,
IZA
Old 04-26-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ianderso@Apr 26 2006, 11:14 AM
While I've built many 9VDC solid-state projects (think effects for guitar players), I'm starting to test the waters on making some tube-driven devices. I was looking over some old schematics and kept seeing a reference to an "HT" attached to the plates of the tubes (usually ECC83s or similar) in the schems. I know it's a transformer reference, but what, exactly, does the "HT" mean?

Thanks,
IZA
I think it might mean "High Tension". This arcane terminology still shows up in high voltage circuits. It generally takes a step-up transformer to go from 120VAC to a typical +300VDC plate supply.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Papabravo@Apr 27 2006, 02:32 AM
I think it might mean "High Tension". This arcane terminology still shows up in high voltage circuits. It generally takes a step-up transformer to go from 120VAC to a typical +300VDC plate supply.
You are correct. HT means High Tension and EHT is Extra High Tension. EHT transformers are generally in the KV range.

HT transformers can have an O/P anywhere from about 100V to about 1KV. Some are multi tapped to provide voltages for the screen grid and supressor grid as well as the plate supply.

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Textbook Tubes versus Semiconductors : Electron Tubes
Textbook Microwave tubes : Electron Tubes
Textbook Display tubes : Electron Tubes
Textbook Ionization (gas-filled) tubes : Electron Tubes
Textbook Combination tubes : Electron Tubes
Textbook Special transformers and applications : Transformers
Textbook The triode : Electron Tubes
Textbook Vacuum tube audio amplifier : Discrete Semiconductor Circuits
Textbook Mutual inductance : Magnetism And Electromagnetism