All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM

Question Question about charging batteries with wind turbine

First off, I would like to say hello as a new member and I'm glad I found these great forums.

I'm helping my sister make a small wind turbine for a science project. We are using a low RPM DC motor to charge a deep cycle marine battery.

My concern is what happens if the motor turns at a speed that would generate more than a 12V charge to the battery? For example, what if 40V is being sent to the battery in a strong wind? Will this damage the battery, and if so, is there some sort of regulator that will not allow more than 12V to be sent to the battery?

Secondly, does anyone have any "load dumping" mechanisms that will automatically monitor the battery voltage and will not allow any additional charge to be sent to the battery once fully charged?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to tkng211 Send a message via Skype™ to tkng211

You can google the circuit for 12V battery charging. If you have some basic knowledge in electronics, it won't b a problem, have fun!
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Servo motor systems
Worksheet AC motor theory
Textbook Tesla polyphase induction motors : Ac Motors
Textbook Introduction : Ac Motors
Worksheet DC motor control circuits
Worksheet DC motor theory
Worksheet DC generator theory