All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM

Default I-V Characteristics (Curve Trace) - FET

Hi, does anyone know how I can get a I-V characteristic of a FET in PSpice? Basically the same thing a curve trace would give you.

If that isn't possible, how can one confirm some of the specs on a datasheet.

Basically I would like to test how a particular model is operating. What specs should I be focusing in, Vth, Idss, Drain Source Voltage and Current, Vgs voltage characteristics, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
E-book Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post
Hi, does anyone know how I can get a I-V characteristic of a FET in PSpice? Basically the same thing a curve trace would give you.

If that isn't possible, how can one confirm some of the specs on a datasheet.

Basically I would like to test how a particular model is operating. What specs should I be focusing in, Vth, Idss, Drain Source Voltage and Current, Vgs voltage characteristics, etc?

Thanks in advance.
I can show you how to do it in LTspice. You could probably easily translate that into Pspice. Let me know if you want to see it.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
I can show you how to do it in LTspice. You could probably easily translate that into Pspice. Let me know if you want to see it.
Yes please show me. I also have LTspice installed but I think I would be able to translate it because I am more comfortable with Pspice than LTspice. Either way should work for me though.

Thank you so much.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
E-book Developer

It's just nested DC sweeps of Vds and Vgs. If you save the .asc file in the location where your other LTspice sims are located, you can then start LTspice and run this sim. Right-click on the .dc directive to see the source sweep parameters.
If you don't have a model for 2N4416, pick another model.
Attached Images
File Type: png Curve tracer JFET sch.PNG (9.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: png Curve tracer JFET waves.PNG (11.1 KB, 147 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc curve tracer jfet.asc (571 Bytes, 149 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron H For This Useful Post:
SiegeX1 (05-13-2011)
Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Your the best. Thank you very much.

Also, is it possible to do a CV curve in PSpice or LTspice? Would I just do a DC Analysis and sweep the gate while shorting the drain and source to groung? If so, how would I plot the high frequency curve and low frequency curve?

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
E-book Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post
Your the best. Thank you very much.

Also, is it possible to do a CV curve in PSpice or LTspice? Would I just do a DC Analysis and sweep the gate while shorting the drain and source to groung? If so, how would I plot the high frequency curve and low frequency curve?

Thanks again.
I used to run CV sims on MOSFETs when I worked at Micron. The principle is fairly simple:
I=C*dv/dt
C=I/(dv/dt)
For a reverse-biased junction, or a MOSFET gate, apply a ramp (dv/dt) to the gate. You have to be judicious about the choice of dv/dt. First, choose a slope like 1e6 v/sec, or 1e3 v/sec, so that the capacitance is in uF or mF.
If you choose 1e12, and the capacitance is a few pF, you will get a few amps of current, which will cause series resistance in the model to be significant, screwing up your results.
If you choose a slope that is too slow, like 1 v/sec, the current will be so low that leakage current will be significant.
You can see Miller capacitance with this technique, as in the attached simulation. I added known values of R and C as a sanity check.
Obviously, you can change Vds or Rd, depending on what you want to measure. You will have to change the amplitude of the gate ramp to accommodate devices with different Vgs(th).
Attached Images
File Type: png JFET CV curve sch.PNG (13.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: png JFET CV plot.PNG (15.4 KB, 76 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc CV curve JFET.asc (1.1 KB, 67 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron H For This Useful Post:
SiegeX1 (05-13-2011)
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Junction field-effect transistors
Textbook Depletion-type IGFETs : Insulated-gate Field-effect Transistors
Textbook Active-mode operation : Junction Field-effect Transistors
Textbook Active mode operation : Bipolar Junction Transistors