All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Talking Guitar Mid-range Scoop - band stop filter

Hi there...

I'm modifying my electric guitar and would like to install a push/pull switch that allows me to switch between normal volume control and a mid-range scoop switch that uses a band stop filter to cut out some of the middle frequencies while leaving the upper and lower frequencies.

I've read the All About Circuits AC chapter on filters and figure that I can use either use a resistor cap circuit (Twin-T band-stop filter) or an LC Network (parallel resonant band stop filter).

I'm struggling with figuring out what values to use in either situation.
I have a passive circuit with either a 250k or 500k pot. I haven't decided what cap or resistor values as I don't know what is best.

What I am trying to achieve is something you can buy online...
http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_passive.html
I'd rather do it myself though.

I found a 600 ohm transformer similar to what they use (but not identical - mine has 600 in and out - theirs has 4k in and 600 ohms out).

I'm new to this whole thing but eager to learn.

I don't know the amount of current that will flow through the circuit - just whatever the pickups send.

I'm hoping to find some formulas to help me calculate the inductor, cap and resistor values.

I found the f-notch formula and the Twin-T formulas but can't quite understand how to pull it all together.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated...
Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 PM
E-book Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
Hi there...

I'm modifying my electric guitar and would like to install a push/pull switch that allows me to switch between normal volume control and a mid-range scoop switch that uses a band stop filter to cut out some of the middle frequencies while leaving the upper and lower frequencies.

I've read the All About Circuits AC chapter on filters and figure that I can use either use a resistor cap circuit (Twin-T band-stop filter) or an LC Network (parallel resonant band stop filter).

I'm struggling with figuring out what values to use in either situation.
I have a passive circuit with either a 250k or 500k pot. I haven't decided what cap or resistor values as I don't know what is best.

What I am trying to achieve is something you can buy online...
http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_passive.html
I'd rather do it myself though.

I found a 600 ohm transformer similar to what they use (but not identical - mine has 600 in and out - theirs has 4k in and 600 ohms out).

I'm new to this whole thing but eager to learn.

I don't know the amount of current that will flow through the circuit - just whatever the pickups send.

I'm hoping to find some formulas to help me calculate the inductor, cap and resistor values.

I found the f-notch formula and the Twin-T formulas but can't quite understand how to pull it all together.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated...
The twin-T notch filter is a fine choice, but you might want to put a variable resistor in parallel with it, so you can adjust the Q. Otherwise, you'll just have an infinitely deep, infinitely narrow notch!

Eric
Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 PM

That makes a lot of sense... is a variable resistor just another component part that I can buy or do I have to put one together?

I was hoping to be able to adjust the Q actually.

Also, any idea about how to calculate what specific values I need for the caps and resistor (at least what range for resistor if I can do the variable resistor)?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 AM

Part of that was pretty dumb... variable resistor - would be a pot...

Are there smaller resistor sized variable resistors?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Another thought...
I plan to hook up the Twin-T directly to my volume pot on my guitar - 500k push/pull pot... I'm guessing that is what you are talking about.

one lead to the ground and the other to the top half of the switch which is wired across the volume pot - so at pull the scoop is active and at push it is not.

KL7AJ, would that be what you were talking about - would it adjust the Q?

Sorry I'm so new at this, I ask alot of questions.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Active filters
Worksheet Class A BJT amplifiers
Worksheet Design Project: Audio tone control
Worksheet Passive filter circuits
Worksheet Resonance
Textbook Resonant filters : Filters
Textbook Band-stop filters : Filters
Textbook Band-pass filters : Filters
Video Lecture Op Amp Applications - Band-Pass & Band-Stop Filters - Op Amps and Op Amp Circuits
Video Lecture Op Amp Applications - Active Filters - Op Amps and Op Amp Circuits