rfid activation

rfhelp

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Hello,

My project is to use a push button send power to an rfid module (12vdc out) The rfid is a passive 2" prox unit so I need to be able to remove the fob while maintaining a 12vdc output. In a perfect world the rfid unit could power down after it has tripped the relay but not the end of the world if it has to stay powered up.
When the push button switch is pressed again turning the power off and resetting the system. The system cannot be activated again until the rfid fob is recognized.

I have the rfid module wired up right now with an automotive relay but it shuts down when the fob is out of prox. There must be a way to use the rfid as the switch instead of the power source?? He says hopefully....

I have been told by a couple electronics guys locally it can't be done. Are they right?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Do you have the datasheet for the RFID Reader, and the schematic of the circuit you have so far?

One way would be using Logic ICs, diodes, transistors, or relays (last choice) to make an "AND" gate for the On Switch, so the on would only work if RFID and switch were engaged. The Off wouldn't need the RFID, but you might want a timeout on "off" so the machine isn't left running with somebody else's credentials.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Does the RFID reader give a 12V output, or are you using a transistor to drive the relay?

The way I am reading it, the input from the switch is only switched to the relay if the RFID "fob" is present, or is the entire RFID Reader disabled when the switch isn't turned on?

You want to have it latch on when the RFID "fob" is present, but allow it to be turned off without the RFID "fob" present?

Is the switch a momentary pushbutton, or single pole dual throw lever type?

rfhelp

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Does the RFID reader give a 12V output, or are you using a transistor to drive the relay?

The way I am reading it, the input from the switch is only switched to the relay if the RFID "fob" is present, or is the entire RFID Reader disabled when the switch isn't turned on?

You want to have it latch on when the RFID "fob" is present, but allow it to be turned off without the RFID "fob" present?

Is the switch a momentary pushbutton, or single pole dual throw lever type?
Yes, rfid is 12vdc out
switch powers the rfid module but no power to relay until fob is present
need the relay to stay active when fob is not present until power it cut (then reset) without switch on no pwr at all to rfid.
switch is either or ( I am using a three contact rocker right now and am ashamed to say I don't know if it is spdt or dpst or what. It has three terminals and is a two position on/off latching rocker)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Is there a reason the RFID reader needs to be powered down when the machine isn't running?

The solution is an SR Latch. With the Set driven by RFID + Switch AND gate - What you already have set up with the switch powering the RFID reader. The Reset would be the other pole of a SPDT switch, not connected through the RFID reader. The output of the SR Latch would then drive the relay.