Need help with momentary to constant circuit with buzzer

wh16923

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I am new to this website and have limited knowledge of electronics.

I'm looking to build a small unit that has a momentary switch that causes buzzer to activate and stay on until it is reset.

I have the momentary switch I want to use. I have a buzzer that I can use for now (separate question). I'm looking to do this all low voltage DC.

I think what I need is a latching relay that is triggered by the momentary switch and the latching relay than supplies power to the buzzer. Is this the correct line of thinking? Where can I learn more about which of the many relays out there I need and how to wire it?

I then need a way to reset the 'system' to turn the buzzer off.

Separately, years ago I built a little box with an electronic door bell "buzzer" rather than a "siren" type buzzer. I haven't been able to find these nicer/calmer tone buzzers - i can only find "siren" type buzzers. Thoughts on where I can find these?

Thanks so much for your help!

wh16923

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Thank you for your reply.

Your suggestion is how I implemented this the first time I built it, about 20 years ago.

The shortcoming in that solution was that it was possible to start the buzzer and then stop the buzzer with that one pushbutton switch.

This time around I want to build it so that once the buzzer is started by the user (presumably by pressing a momentary switch) the buzzer continues on until someone else turns it off via another mechanism.

In other words the user can start the buzzer but the user cannot stop the buzzer.

Thanks.