All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 AM

Default Treadmill Motor Speed Controller problems!

I have a treadmill where the motor-speed controller is going bad.

I was wondering what people think i should look at first. The symptoms are as follows:

power/controller board successfully continues to work as motor-speed increases. the motor-speed controller board's "SRC TRIG" LED keeps "blinking" and the motor keeps turning UNTIL about "2mph" is on the display. the motor just stops and the blinking LED dies out. 3 wires connect from the power/controller board, so can i assume its a pwm sigmal to control the 4-wire DC motor?

the LED's on the power/controller board still "blink" the same and the display goes down to "0mph" because the magnetic-reed switch for speed is now longer getting input--if i turn motor manually the display shows an "mph" of me activating the magnetic-reed switch..

i'm attaching a pic of the board... the IC's are (2) LM324N's and there are three T220 "D1..3" and two T220 "Q1..2" attached to the huge-heatsink.

I'm assuming a resistor broke down and the LM324's are not comparing the speed of the motor correctly. could it possibly be a bad DC motor's speed-sensor? I thought of opening up the DC motor, but i can't imagine that sensor going bad.... am i wrong? the "current limit" LED never turns on

any help please.... ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Treadmill Motor Controller.jpg (73.6 KB, 1141 views)
Old 10-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Default MC-60 Motor Controller

Although this is an older post, I have just repaired this motor controller and as part of the process had to reverse engineer the circuit board to be able to troubleshoot. I intend to use the treadmill motor to run my lathe. A couple of years ago I used another treadmill motor to upgrade my old Delta drill press. Since I spent the time generating the schematics of these two motor controllers, I thought it would be worthwhile to post them so others might use them to troubleshoot problems. I am quite confident that they are not 100 percent accurate but close enough to do some good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MC-60 Motor Controller.pdf (397.1 KB, 2875 views)
File Type: pdf PWW Motor Controller.pdf (380.7 KB, 2270 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trolley1 For This Useful Post:
fredsantizo (05-12-2013), MadCow405 (04-07-2010), Mudd (02-21-2010), tom66 (08-24-2010)
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM

Default MC-60 Repair

Thanks for the hand drawn MC-60 schematic Trolly1. I have a fried SCR causing my treadmill to run full speed. I am replacing both with S4025L's that handle 5 more amps. Do you think I will have to modify the gate driver circuit? Reduce the 390 ohm resistors?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the schematic trolley1

It was a great deal of help troubleshooting my board. It was not driving the motor at all. After testing and seeing all the signals, everything seemed to be working perfectly, but the scr's were not firing, so I assumed it was the opto-coupler. Turns out the "SCR FIRING" LED was not conducting enough current to turn the opto-coupler's LED ON, therefore not firing. Changing the LED fixed my problem! (The LED was actually lighting, for some reason not working the opto-coupler)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 AM

It's probably the optocoupler "ageing" and a typical symptom of an opto on the way out is the need to drive it with slightly higher currents.

It might have just been the LED, but I wouldn't be surprised if you soon have to change the opto too.
Roman Black - PICs and electronics. Author of BTc PIC-sound encoder, Shift1-LCD project, the TalkBotBrain talking PIC controller, LiniStepper open-source microstepping motor driver, the Black Regulator 2-transistor SMPS, and probably some other stuff; www.RomanBlack.com
Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickofmi View Post
Thanks for the hand drawn MC-60 schematic Trolly1. I have a fried SCR causing my treadmill to run full speed. I am replacing both with S4025L's that handle 5 more amps. Do you think I will have to modify the gate driver circuit? Reduce the 390 ohm resistors?
I haven't been logged on for a while. I would guess that you would not have to modify the gate driver circuit. You could compare the gate triggering requirements of your SCR with those of the original.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RB View Post
It's probably the optocoupler "ageing" and a typical symptom of an opto on the way out is the need to drive it with slightly higher currents.

It might have just been the LED, but I wouldn't be surprised if you soon have to change the opto too.
Those are exactly the problems that I found when I repaired my MC-60. Had to replace the LED and the opto-triac.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Default Fast Recovery Diode Keeps Blowing

My Horizon T30 treadmill has been through four motor control boards and each time it blows the Fast Recovery Diode that is in series to the motor. Last time, I replace it with a much higher-rated one but the motor still doesn't move. Any ideas there?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 AM

Ive struggled with a MC 60 that the motor wont run and the SCR Trig LED wont light. Outputs,caps,all solid state items check good.Ive replaced both LM324s, MC3052 and the SCRs went and replaced all caps with no luck. I dont like shotgunning a repair but was stumped. I swiped a LED from another controller and still no luck. What am I missing. How do you test a LED and what is a sutable replacement?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM

If you have access to an oscilloscope then you can trace the SCR trigger pulses. Testing a LED in-circuit may be tricky. You could lift the non-grounded lead and apply voltage thru a resistor. Basically the circuit is applying 12 volts thru a 510 ohm resistor so you could clip in a similar sized resistor directly from the 12 volt supply and see if the LED lights. Check to make sure the 12 volt is proper with a meter. Alternatively you could temporarily short out the SCR Trig LED and see if the motor works. It is not essential to make the SCRs fire but if open they won't.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Servo motor systems
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors as switches
Worksheet AC motor theory
Worksheet AC generator theory
Textbook Tesla polyphase induction motors : Ac Motors
Worksheet Step-up, step-down, and isolation transformers
Textbook Reluctance motor : Ac Motors