Signal transmission

indranil_ran

Joined Jan 22, 2009
I need to transmit a AC 80 Hz 500 milivolt signal from site to control room. How to do that.

Transmission may be via Radio link or via field bus. But, if it is field bus, it has to go via a slip ring.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I need to transmit a AC 80 Hz 500 milivolt signal from site to control room. How to do that.

Transmission may be via Radio link or via field bus. But, if it is field bus, it has to go via a slip ring.

At such a low frequency, a slip ring may be the only practical solution.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Let me qualify that last statement. You can use the 80 Hz to MODULATE a radio carrier, then you need to rieceive it and demodulate it again. Depending on distance, possible licensing issues, I'd guess the direct slip ring approach might be more straightforward. Need more details to answer fully.

eric

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
If the control room is any significant distance (more than say 25 metres) from the site you will need a buffer amplifier for any wired solution. This could also boost the signal level to reduce noise. Power could be sent back along the signal wires to the buffer.

A radio solution would avoid this at the expense of complexity. Also you would need to look into possible interference along the signal path, licencing of transmission and find a source of power for the transmitter.