All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM

Post neutral to earth voltage

hi dear all
can any one recommend me how much voltage should be enough between neutral to earth(ground) bars for a smooth running of a system.

and one more thing is what the standered of world for the voltage between earth(ground) to nutral. and how much resistance is acceptable for the earth grounding. thanks for a quick reply.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

This is a tricky subject, in more than one way. Here is the problem.

If you have a leg with 10 amps running through it, and the length of wire is dropping 3 volts, then there will be 3 volts between earth and neutral at the socket where power is tapped. Where the two connect (usually the line pole) there is no difference. So even though they are the same wire there can be a voltage differential, because the wire is also a resistor.

There is no standard for this voltage as far as I know, just whether the wire itself is safe to carry the full current load. If it meets the criteria then the voltage difference between earth and ground doesn't matter.

As to the second part of your question I don't know the definitive answer. As far as I know it is a 6 foot spike into the ground for ground.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

The NEC, article 250.56, specifies no more than 25 Ohms to Earth ground. Voltage would, per this code article and Ohm's Law, be current times 25.

If the NEC does not apply in your area, I suggest contacting your local authority for requirements. If the NED does apply in your area, I suggest contacting your local authority for any local variances or exceptions.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Lets see ground wet ground or sand ground. Both are not exactly equal.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Textbook Shock current path : Electrical Safety
Worksheet Electrical noise and interference
Worksheet Basic oscilloscope operation
Textbook Single-phase power systems : Polyphase Ac Circuits
Textbook ElectroStatic Discharge : Practical Analog Semiconductor Circuits
Worksheet Safety grounding
Worksheet Elementary circuits