Linking to pictures

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just made an interesting discovery, you can link to an attachment and then display the image full size, no album entry needed. This also has an additional benifet that the size limits on the albums seems to be bypassed. I'm not sure if save and replace works or not, that will come later. You add the attatchment to the post, then enlarge it, and put the address of the fully displayed attachment between the IMG links.

A demo...

Note that this picture is larger that could usually be displayed. Neat, huh?

I also did this without exiting the post, it was all done on the first try.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, but I have never seen anyone do this, on any forum. Previous to the inhouse albums people were using Photobucket, or some other source, to display full size images. The ability to display a picture full size in a post is more than a little useful. All albums have limitations on sizes, and the attachments limits are a lot wider.

It may not seem a big deal, but again, I have been doing forums for a while, and this is the first time I've seen it done this way. If the attachments were hidden (not really necessary) then you could have the post show the illustration full size without reference to any other source.

Knowing something is possible, and doing it is two different things. Displaying attachments full size is now a proven technique.

BTW, I now have two things to add to my blog index. :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Perhaps, but I have never seen anyone do this, on any forum. Previous to the inhouse albums people were using Photobucket, or some other source, to display full size images. The ability to display a picture full size in a post is more than a little useful. All albums have limitations on sizes, and the attachments limits are a lot wider.
Perhaps it would be a better idea to bring the Albums size restrictions into line with those for Attachments. As you know, this feature is something we introduced this year so we are still tweaking the settings to get the best experience for you guys.

That said, remember your Albums are a public repository, so members are free to navigate to your profile and look at your circuits designs and photos without having to find the thread they are posted in.

It is really just two different ways to do the same thing - whichever works, works.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The main reason I've been using albums is to display the schematics in readable format. The fact they are also available for public viewing is icing on the cake. We haven't been using the Albums to best advantage anyhow, they allow threads as part of their comments (not to mention the comments themselves by the OP).

By themselves this would make a pretty functional cookbook.

Where this this new technique will come in handy is my submissions, such as they are.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I am looking for some one to start posting fiuld colors, in other words
showing voltage in red moving thru curcuit,bias voltage another color.
analog,ditital and so on.I have seen it on other sites.Can't name one now,but have luck on to them.Some sites give you free look and you go
back it has your number,won't show again.???????????? Can I subscribe
to some thing on this site,what that all about.THanks Bill and guys keep up the excellent work. LOOSEWIRE

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Some sites give you free look and you go
back it has your number,won't show again.???????????? Can I subscribe
to some thing on this site,what that all about.
Not sure what you're getting at. All members have full access to all features this site offers.

Dave

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Curcuits on other sites,that have moving colors to represent
the flow of voltage and current. Like the flow in pipes.Sorry can't
explain It better,trying.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Curcuits on other sites,that have moving colors to represent
the flow of voltage and current. Like the flow in pipes.Sorry can't
explain It better,trying.
Ah right, like a GIF-image. You can link to those from here and embed them in your posts using the IMG-tags.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That's one technique I haven't figured out yet, GIF animation. For something like the eBook it wouldn't work, but for general posting it could be nice.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Bill, try a search on "whirlgif." There might be better software out there than whirlgif. I was able to make it work, though, so it's obviously simple to use.:cool:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hello,
Did you ever look in the FAQ?
Bertus
I'm still confused. The FAQ procedure is what I follow to add my images. The uploaded attachment gets placed between ATTACH tags. This gives me inline thumbnails and thumbnails at the bottom of the page. Clicking on a thumbnail pulls up the full image.

Bill has a procedure for getting inline full images:
"...you can link to an attachment and then display the image full size, no album entry needed. This also has an additional benifet that the size limits on the albums seems to be bypassed. I'm not sure if save and replace works or not, that will come later. You add the attatchment to the post, then enlarge it, and put the address of the fully displayed attachment between the IMG links."
Maybe I'm dense but I can't quite follow the steps. I suppose others have followed them with no trouble.
1.You add the attatchment to the post
Is this the same as described in the FAQs, using the "Manage Attachments" window?
2. Enlarge it.
And...I'm lost. How do you enlarge it? Clicking a thumbnail is not an option until your post is finished, and when you click the thumbnail, another window opens.
3. put the address of the fully displayed attachment between the IMG links.
I understand the intention, but what IMG tags? I don't see any

Sorry to drag this off topic, maybe you can move this to where it may belong.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
When you attach a picture to a post, all you see is a thumb nail version of it.

Click on it to see the actual image, this pulls it up from where it is stored on this site.

If the image is too big I recommend you size it using M/S Paint, or whatever your favorite photo editing software. With Paint you can look at the images size by clicking attributes. Lets say it shows 1365X1034. If you want to get it down to 600 bytes wide (a good size for most situations) then figure the percentage you need to shrink it. In this case it would be 600/1365X100%, or 44%. Go to Paints Image/"Stretch/Scew" feature and enter 44% for both axis (X/Y). The image is now shrunk and ready to use. You will need to upload the revised image again.

Attach the revised image to the post, then use the img /img commands to show it.

Question #1. Yes, use the manage attachments feature on AAC

Question #2. Pull up the image full size by clicking on the thumb nail. This will open another screen, and on top of that screen there will be an address. This address is what you put between the {img}url address{/url} commands. I'm using {} instead of [].

Question #3. I think I misspoke myself there. The image tag is the address where the image is stored.

OK, take the following attachment on my post.

Click it, you should get the address of this attachment as well as the picture in its full resolution, it is this address you use.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36326&stc=1&d=1320941553

Put the above address between the img /img commands and you get this...

Thing is, I can use anyones attachment, it is the address where it is stored at that is important.

This button on the top of your post will let you see your formatting. You will need it occasionally.

Feel free to experiment on this thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Okay, I 'll try it too, in case my syntax appeals better to some minds.

When I want to include a full sized image in a post, I do the following:

I Go Advanced post edit.
I use the attachment manager to select a file and upload it to my message.
Then I hit the Preview Message button. That will show the file uploaded in the attachments ribbon, below the message text.
I open that image in a new tab, which allows me to see its address in the browser address bar.
I copy that address.
In the place of the post I want to attach the image, I hit the "Insert Image" button.
I paste the image link I had copied previously.
I submit my post.

Hope that helps.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Alright, here goes.

Click paper clip icon to Manage Attachments, choose photo, upload photo

Click paper clip icon again to attach photo inline
image72.jpg

While still editing, I can only see text - the open and close ATTACH tags, and the number of the image attachment.

Try "Preview Post". That works - I now see the thumbnail and still have this editing window.

Copy complete URL of enlarged photo obtained by clicking the thumbnail.
Click on yellow, mountain icon to insert image, past into the box that appears. Preview Post again.

Woohoo! Full image inline. (My girls on the summit of Mt. Calico 12,980' near the continental divide in southern Colorado)

So for me, the missing piece was using the Preview Post button. Bill, you never mentioned it, so it's either second nature for you and you overlooked mentioning it, or you somehow don't need to use it?