All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:12 PM

Unhappy

Hello there,

I'm very new to electronics and am teaching myself. i went to radioshack to buy supplies. This may sound stupid but how can you tell if a capacitor is polarized or not. Sometimes the capacitors are labeled as such sometimes not. The radioshack guy knew nothing but how to work the register.

Are certain metals polarized (like tantalum)? What about when it says electrolytic?

Any help is truly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:42 AM

Hi,

The folks at Rad Shack aren't too informed, are they?

Most often, if the capacitor has a tubular body, it is going to be polarized. All tantalum caps are, without exception. There are exceptions, but you probably won't find them at the Shack. Electrolytics have the negative lead marked, usually with arrows and "-" signs. Tantalums have the positive lead marked.

If the cap is ceramic, monolithic, film, polyester, or silver mica, it will not be polarized. Watch working voltage, though. Any capacitor will fail if too much voltage is placed across it.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The radioshack guy knew nothing but how to work the register.
HA HA HA - - - I love it! - - - and what do their commercials say? "If you've got questions, we've got answers!" - - - WHAT A HOOT!

The only answers you'll find there are about cell phone plans. Most radio shacks have "crossed over" into the cell phone demension.

I could'nt resist to throw that in. Anyway, looks like Beenthere's gotcha covered.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the feedback as i have pretty much been flying solo so far.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:15 AM

We used to have radio shack in the uk, it was called tandies, they used to know their stuff, and be very friendly (often giving me free stuff when I was little).
Sadly in their later years, they stocked less and less in the way of electrical components, and their knowledge levels dropped sharply with all the "new" staff they got in.

I remember going in and asking for a replacement bit for my soldering iron, the assistant looked at me as though I was stupid and said certainly sir, which bit of the iron would you like...................
Old 06-26-2005, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Then along came a dummy@Jun 25 2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the feedback as i have pretty much been flying solo so far.
A non-polorized capacitor will have no + or - markings on it. It will also have the letters NP. Any kind of capacitor you need can be obtained from Newark electronics, Allied or many others.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Video Lecture Capacitors (Part 2) - Current Flow in a Capacitive Circuit - Inductors,Capacitors,Transformers
Worksheet Switched capacitor circuitry
Worksheet AC network analysis
Textbook Credits : Contributor List
Worksheet Passive filter circuits
Worksheet Time constant circuits
Worksheet Capacitors
Worksheet Capacitance
Textbook Rectifier/filter circuit : Discrete Semiconductor Circuits
Textbook Phase shift : Ac Circuits