All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Default how to use RC time constant to run an LED in my circuit?

Hi,
I am trying to design a circuit, where i am trying to light up an LED long enough based on my pulse signal.
Here is what i am trying to do.

a 10us pulse(every second) --->74HCT04 buffer---> (RC circuit)----> LED.

since this is a 10us pulse, i want to make sure to light up the led for long enough time, so that one can see it. So i am trying to use RC time constant to add delay so that the LED remains ON for a longer time. I am not able to figure out the exact circuit for that and how i should design the RC circuit and how and where to place it with/before/after the LED.
Also i am not able to figure out how to calculate R and C.

It would be great, if someone can help me out.
Any kind of input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Hary.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Banned

Instead of powering the LED from a huge capacitor that will never charge, use a small capacitor that is charged through a diode by the pulse, then the voltage in the capacitor drives the very low input current of the 74HCT04 buffer that drives the LED through a current-limiting resistor. A discharge resistor in parallel with the capacitor determines the duration of each blink.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Another option could be to use a latch, instead of a buffer, at least if the latch's output current is enough to drive the led(s). Would be steady, but depends on how many leds you have, and if some of them get refreshed at the same time, or not. There are addressable latches, also, if none of the leds get refreshed at the same time.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , , , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Video Lecture RC Time Constants (Part 1) - Pulse Circuit Response - Inductors,Capacitors,Transformers
Worksheet Timer circuits
Worksheet Latch circuits
Worksheet Time constant calculations
Worksheet Time constant circuits
Textbook Modern nonmechanical memory : Digital Storage (memory)
Textbook CMOS 555 LONG DURATION FLYBACK LED FLASHER : 555 Timer Circuits
Textbook CMOS 555 LONG DURATION BLUE LED FLASHER : 555 Timer Circuits
Textbook CMOS 555 LONG DURATION MINIMUM PARTS RED LED FLASHER : 555 Timer Circuits
Textbook 555 audio oscillator : Analog Integrated Circuits