Edit/Delete time limit settings

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I'm not complaining.....I also had an [ admittedly non-sequitir ] post deleted, and was somewhat relieved to see it go...........which leads me to ask, why we don't have a means of deleting our own non-productive posts, unless I need to put on my glasses "cuz I haven't seen it yet.............OK I found that entire posts can be deleted, for a certain amount of time, it seems..................shall go try another...............

Some can be nixed, some not.............Moderators / Admin .......please let me know where the line is drawn on personal deletion.

On the question of liability, personal and otherwise, I take all I read here under advisement, so to speak, and expressly try my level best not to post anything I feel will be counterproductive, or dangerous to any other member.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'm not complaining.....I also had an [ admittedly non-sequitir ] post deleted, and was somewhat relieved to see it go...........which leads me to ask, why we don't have a means of deleting our own non-productive posts, unless I need to put on my glasses "cuz I haven't seen it yet.............OK I found that entire posts can be deleted, for a certain amount of time, it seems..................shall go try another...............
We employ a policy where you are free to edit/delete your posts indefinitely. In the lower right-hand corner of each of your posts you will see an Edit button - when you press that you are presented with an Edit box with the text of your post - one of the options along the bottom of the box is Delete.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Some can be nixed, some not.............Moderators / Admin .......please let me know where the line is drawn on personal deletion.
We leave this to the individual member. We do encourage members not to remove information that is pertinent to a discussion as it can destroy the flow. However, the issues of editing freedom is one that can sometimes create a whole myriad of issues.

On the question of liability, personal and otherwise, I take all I read here under advisement, so to speak, and expressly try my level best not to post anything I feel will be counterproductive, or dangerous to any other member.
And we feel the forum rules and disclaimer make it clear that that is how this site believes members here should use information at this site. Bad advice, which almost always is not malicious, is often weeded out due to the public nature of the forums.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Yes, but it does seem that on some posts, if I access the edit block, the delete box is no longer an option...............what gives ?
It is not time limited, so you should be able to delete indefinitely. I'm away for a couple of days, so I will have a look when I get back.

In the meantime, in the interests of not derailing this thread, I will copy these posts regarding editing of posts over to a new thread in the F&S forum.

Dave

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Yes, but it does seem that on some posts, if I access the edit block, the delete box is no longer an option...............what gives ?
Greetings packratking,

Is it possible that you are not logged on when you notice that the "edit" button is missing?

Keep in mind that you must be logged on to the forum for the edit button to be available as a choice in your posts.

hgmjr

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Sorry hgmjr, I've copied this post over from the initial thread!

If I've read PackratKing right, the Edit option is available, however the Delete option is not available once the Edit option is select. Therefore, he must be logged in to get the edit option in the first place.

Logging out and deleting AAC cookies might be a good idea.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is a feature I love about this site, and is extremely unusual, in the trust it shows the users. Personal policy, other than typo errors once a post is more than a day old I will not change it, I might add a note to the bottom for clarification under a row of asterisks, but I won't change the wording or delete it. It is better to just admit if I'm wrong (don't have to like it, but it is an issue of integrity).

I have been known to delete new posts if I conclude I am being arguementative or an ass. Everyone tries, but it happens to everyone, and sometimes with text only medium such as this things come out sounding different than what you intended. Once it is a matter of record however (enough people have read it that you are stuck with your words) I leave it alone.