All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 AM

Default Cleaning PCB's and IC chips pins

What do you guys use to Clean PCB soldering ? cause i can't get the ROSIN off the PCB's boards what do you guys use?

I have used MEK with a acid brush to remove the ROSIN off the PCB if this ok or right?

What else can i use please?

HOw do you guys clean dirtry IC chip pins that are very dirty ?

I use a Brass Wire brush to remove the dirt off of the IC chip pins , but it bent the IC chip pins alot

How can i prevent the IC chips pin from bending while cleaning?

Or What do you guys use to clean dirty IC chip pins?

I use steel wool after to polish up the IC chip pins is this good?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Expert Member

I use isopropyl alcohol with acid brushes for cleaning flux. You can find 91% isopropyl if you look around. The common drugstore variety is 70%, of which 30% is water. The 91% is much better. Isopropyl alcohol absorbs moisture out of the air, and burns with a nearly invisible flame. For both of those reasons, you should keep it covered unless you're actually using it. Avoid contact with your skin, as the 91% will dry your skin out.

MEK is pretty dangerous stuff.

I use muriatic acid for cleaning corrosion from component leads. It's actually a very dilute hydrochloric acid solution that is available from pool supply stores. You do not want to breathe the fumes, get it on your skin or clothes, nor use it in an enclosed area. It will etch concrete surfaces. I use a fan to keep the fumes blowing away from me, work on a plastic-top bench, wear rubber gloves, and keep a bucket of water and a hose ready in case of spills/splashes. I put my components in a throw-away plastic container that has a lid, add the muriatic acid, put the lid on and agitate it a bit for 30 seconds or so. Then I rinse the components very thoroughly with plenty of water, and dry them with an isopropyl alcohol rinse.

I wouldn't recommend steel wool, as it is flammable, will easily cause short circuits, and microscopic bits of the steel wool will become embedded in the soft metal of the pins, later causing corrosion. Instead, I have a few 3M Scotchbrite(tm) pads that you can find in your grocery store's cleaning section. They do a nice job of stripping off corrosion from things like resistor/capacitor/diode leads, and won't cause problems.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 AM

3M Scotchbrite(tm) pads ?

So do i use 3M Scotchbrite(tm) pads or isopropyl alcohol 91% on the IC pins too? with a acid brush?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 AM

MEK is pretty dangerous stuff.

What can it do wrong to the PCB or components using MEK?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

The PCB and components are not what you should be worried about: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0069.html
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 05-12-2008, 05:58 AM

so what should i use then?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Try using Sgt Wookie's recommendation. It has worked wonders for me for decades.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 AM

To use 3M Scotchbrite with a acidbrush on the IC chip pins?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

91% Isopropyl Alcohol.
- Michael Faraday
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 AM

ok i'll try it thanks
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Soldering