All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > Homework Help

Notices

Homework Help Stuck on a textbook question or coursework? Cramming for a test and need help understanding something? Post your questions and attempts here and let others help.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Current Source vs. Current Sink

Consider an open-collector output connected to a totem-pole input. Do I understand correctly that the open-collector output is a current sink whether its logic value is HI or LO?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned

An open collector output can sink a current to 0V but it cannot source a current. It needs to have a pullup resistor or transistor added for its output to source a current and be high.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
An open collector output can sink a current to 0V but it cannot source a current. It needs to have a pullup resistor or transistor added for its output to source a current and be high.
So if a pull-up resistor of appropriate value is properly connected between the output and the supply voltage, the output logic is HI, and the output is driving a TTL input, is the output said to be sourcing current to the TTL input?

I understand how the connections are made (and how to calculate an appropriate value for the pull-up resistor), but the definition of "source" and "sink" are somewhat unclear to me. I thought a gate output was called a source if the electron flow was going into it, and a sink if the electron flow was coming out of it. I understand that for a properly connected open-collector output, the electron flow comes out of the output whether the output logic is HI or LO (although the current is very small if the output is HI).
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 AM

If we say an output source current it means the current flows out of the chip. If way say the output sinks it means the current flows in the chip. By the way you dont need to have a pullup resistor to drive a TTL input because a floating TTL input is taken as high.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Banned

Most circuits use a positive power supply. If an output goes high (positive) then it sources.
If an output goes low then it sinks.

It is best to drive a TTL input high. TTL outputs force the next input high and do not allow inputs to float. Floating inputs go high very slowly. Floating inputs pickup interference.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik3 View Post
If we say an output source current it means the current flows out of the chip. If way say the output sinks it means the current flows in the chip. By the way you dont need to have a pullup resistor to drive a TTL input because a floating TTL input is taken as high.
That would be conventional current. Not "electron flow."
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 04-27-2009, 01:05 AM

Hi

I think it is important to know about the source current, as we can determine how much current actually flows out of the chip. So we can determine how to amplify the current to drive our load, like using a transistor etc.

But why do we have to know what current actually flows into the chip (sink current)? Can it help us in any way?

Kindly advise.

Regards,
Old 04-27-2009, 03:20 AM
E-book Developer

Does this help?
On first inspection, it may look like the emitter of Q1 is reversed biased when the input is high, so no current should flow. It is reverse biased, but the collector of Q1 is lower in voltage than the emitter, so their roles are temporarily reversed (inverted). The inverted transistor will have low beta, but current will still flow through the emitter (now the collector) junction.
When the emitter of Q1 is low, Q1 acts as a normal transistor.

EDIT: See the Wikipedia article on transistor-transistor logic if you want to see a typical TTL gate schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: png open collector source-sink.PNG (15.6 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Ron H; 04-27-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 AM

Hi Ron H,

Thanks a lot! It sure helps!
Have a nice day!

Regards,
Old 05-08-2009, 03:33 AM

Just take source and sink with a grain of salt[ what ever that means ] ,because IC data sheets do not all agree with each other on the subject; maybe check date of publication.To me an open collector sinks.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Basic logic gate troubleshooting
Worksheet TTL logic gates
Textbook Current mirrors : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook The common-collector amplifier : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook The common-emitter amplifier : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook Logic signal voltage levels : Logic Gates
Textbook CMOS gate circuitry : Logic Gates