All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Default batteries for a wind turbine

Hi everyone,sorry to appear to hi-jack your forum but i have been searching in vain for some information regarding batteries for a wind turbine,and as usual all info has been somewhat conflicting.so , after days on google ,i have found you here and very much hope someone can help me.
For my 1KW turbine the supplier recommends 4 X 200 AH 12 Volt batteries,these batteries are very expensive but what i can source cheaply is:
6 volt 100AH
12 volt 100 AH
2 volt 300 AH
Is there any combination of these batteries that would suit?
My inverter is a pure sinewave 4 kw 48 volt unit.
Absolutely ANY help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,Deryk
Old 04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Expert Member

It is best to start a new topic, even though your question is highly similar to the original poster's question. This helps to reduce confusion.

Your easiest solution would be to use 8 x 100 AH 12v batteries, rather than the 4 x 200 AH 12v batteries. A pair of 100 AH 12v batteries connected in parallel equals one 200 AH 12v battery, and would simplify your wiring.

With the 6v 100 AH batteries, you would first wire them in pairs to get the 200 AH, then in series to get the 48V. This means that you would need sixteen of these batteries to equal four 200 AH 12v batteries.

The 2 volt 300 AH is attractive due to it's extra capacity, and the fact that it is a single cell. Wiring 24 single 2v batteries in series would give you the same power as if you wired four 300 AH batteries in series, but has the advantage of if a single cell failed, it could be replaced without disturbing the other cells. With a 6v or 12v battery, if a single cell fails, you must replace the entire battery.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Two other very important things to consider:

1) How long are the less expensive batteries expected to last versus expected life of the more expensive batteries. Which will truly cost less over the next few decades?

2) Are the less expensive batteries able to tolerate being fully discharged repeatedly? Some batteries wear out very quickly if they are repeatedly discharged by more than a fraction of their rated charge.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Power conversion circuits
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors as switches
Textbook Tesla polyphase induction motors : Ac Motors
Textbook Three-phase power systems : Polyphase Ac Circuits
Textbook Single-phase power systems : Polyphase Ac Circuits
Textbook Winding configurations : Transformers