All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > Electronics Resources

Notices

Electronics Resources Get help with all types of electronics resources, including books, websites, datasheets, technical literature, and software.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Default PSPICE and Multisim

Hi everyone. At my school, we use NI Multisim. I'm comfortable enough with it, but I can't help but notice the extensive use of (and references to) PSPICE on this website.

Does anyone know which one I will be more likely to use in my future career? Should I try to get PSPICE and learn to use both? Does it matter (are they that much different)?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Expert Member

PSPICE is simply SPICE that runs on personal computers.
SPICE is an acronym which means "Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis". In the early days, one needed a mainframe computer to run simulations on, as personal computers didn't exist! Engineers would spend days tediously entering copious amounts of data on IBM punch cards, and have a programmer run their SPICE simulation in a "batch" job on a mainframe.

SPICE commands are similar from version to version. Fortunately for you, most of the SPICE parameters are already incorporated into library models that you just plug in to your circuit.

Multisim already has a version of PSPICE in it. Don't worry about the differences; just get familiar with that tool.

If you really want to explore other PSPICE programs, you could download Linear Technology's free SwitcherCadIII from their website.
http://www.linear.com
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks. I just got SwitcherCadIII. I'll have to mess with it a little to get used to it.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:11 AM

Basically, SPICE is the core of most circuit simulators.. Fancy simulators just add a nice GUI and more subcircuits, along with features like convegence assistance, etc.

Steve
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet IC fabrication and packaging
Worksheet Design Project: Audio power amplifier