5-V Relay Circuit

mrabie007

Joined Aug 28, 2014
Dear All,

I am very new to all this. I want to build my own arduino relay switch board using this Solid State Relay

http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g3vm_351b_e.pdf

I found this circuit

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/49xj2t/relay-shield-circuit/

My questions are:
1) Can this solid state relay work as a normal relay board?
2) how can I specify the require "transistor" and "diode" voltage/resistance to use with the relay ic?
3) any help or feedback on the circuit and the best way to do it, i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That circuit lab circuit is totally wrong. If you connected it as shown, you would short out the Arduino's 5V regulator and destroy it, or you would vaporize the diode...

This is not the first time I have seen bad stuff from circuit lab!

What do you want to switch with the SSR?

Here is how to drive the input side of the SSR:

Attachments

mrabie007

Joined Aug 28, 2014
Thanks MikeML for the information and the update. I will drive a 24v sprinkler head. I also want to use it to drive the garage door. I want to have a think form factor that's why I am looking at these SSR and not the bulky regular relays. I am new to all this i come from a software background and trying to do the SSR circuit using a thin SSR like the one in the link above.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Mcgyvr makes a good point. If switching AC, then leave pin 5 floating, and connect the load in series with pin 4 and 6.

Even a 24Vac lawn sprinkler solenoid draws about 250mAac. Shorting across a garage door operator switch would be within the capability of this SSR.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Yes reference "Connection A/B/C" diagrams for how to hook them up to your loads..

But I'd guess the 120mA is going to be a problem for you application.. Hence a larger SSR or mechanical relay will be required.

mrabie007

Joined Aug 28, 2014
Thank you all for the updates. mcgyvr recommendation I checked out another SSR
http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g3vm_61ay1_dy1.pdf
it's 500mA

How can I calculate the required resistors, capacitor power needed and how to lay them out on the board, what comes after what? in order to power it from the arduino board 5V, and control the garage door or the sprinkler head?

Also if you can point me to maybe a book or articles that can walk me through understanding all these small components i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you all :)

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
That circuit lab circuit is totally wrong. If you connected it as shown, you would short out the Arduino's 5V regulator and destroy it, or you would vaporize the diode...

This is not the first time I have seen bad stuff from circuit lab!

What do you want to switch with the SSR?

Here is how to drive the input side of the SSR:
Mike, I am not trying to nitpick, just wanted to clarify a detail. In your circuit you used label A0 for arduino output. The problem, that I wish to point, is that on arduino A0 has specific designation/function, it is Analog input/channel 0 used by ADC, I am not sure off hand but it is likely that this pin can not be configured for output. It would be better if you used one of the general I/O pins or one of the PWM pins. This way new people are pointed into the right direction and can decide for themselves which general i/o or pwm pin they want to use.

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, A0 by default is an analog input. It however can be configured to be a digital input or a digital output. I meant to illustrate any Arduino output pin...

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, A0 by default is an analog input. It however can be configured to be a digital input or a digital output. I meant to illustrate any Arduino output pin...
Ok. I was too lazy to go and look for specific info. I used arduino board before, but we actually needed ADC functionality so we used A0 and A1 for "normal" use as ADC inputs, and used other pins for outputs.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Thank you all for the updates. mcgyvr recommendation I checked out another SSR
http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g3vm_61ay1_dy1.pdf
it's 500mA

How can I calculate the required resistors, capacitor power needed and how to lay them out on the board, what comes after what? in order to power it from the arduino board 5V, and control the garage door or the sprinkler head?

Also if you can point me to maybe a book or articles that can walk me through understanding all these small components i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you all :)
Lets start by getting the specs on the "solenoid" and how you intend to "control the garage door"..
Mike posted all thats needed to "drive" the SSR (input)
Its basically just a switch on the other side (output).. with some differences.

mrabie007

Joined Aug 28, 2014
mcgyvr
I tried to drive the solenoid using this relay
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OC6D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it worked fine. The solenoids I have are the standard 24/v valve heads.

Mike's post is great and i'll try his circuit. But I have a question on mike's circuit, I have noticed that all the relays have @ least 3 pins
GND IN VCC

Mike's circuit has only GND and IN, where's the VCC going to be connected to?

I used Mike's diagram just replaced the SSR with this http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g3vm_61ay1_dy1.pdf

Am I missing anything or should I buy the components and start playing? :D

Again thank you Mike n Mcgyvr for your great input so far

Attachments

mrabie007

Joined Aug 28, 2014
excuse my ignorance, but I just noticed that the SSR i'm planning to use are signal relays not solid state relays (or at least that's how they are showing on the website). Do they do the same job or do I need to look into the Solid State Relays instead of the MOS FET relays?

My ultimate goal is to have a relay like
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OC6D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but to be thinner and use solid state instead of the huge mechanical relays

Thank you for your help

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Signal relays are a general classification for low-power circuits, usually under 2A current.
You need to define your requirements more completely, as far as the loads you're planning on controlling.
Also indicate what else you might be uncertain about.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
In general a "signal relay" is a mechanical relay (the contacts physically move when activated by the magnetic field created when the coil is energized..)
SSR is a solid state relay.. (no moving parts)

Both types are available in a range of ratings.. each has its own application..
many SSR's like to fail in the "on" state too which can be a problem.

mrabie007

Joined Aug 28, 2014
@mcgyvr, @MikeML Thank you for the information. Sorry for the late reply i was researching SSRs to use. Can you guys suggest a good reliable SSR (or MOSFET) that I can use? I am focusing now on the 24Vac lawn sprinkler solenoid application.

Thanks for your help

Mustafa