All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 AM

Default How to determine AC/DC

I have a question. I have a small electric motor out of an old jukebox that I think is bad. I found the wiring diagram telling me the motor circuit is 28VDC. However, before I found the diagram I was using a voltmeter testing the plug into the motor and I got about 30VDC however, when I switched the voltmeter to AC I also got a reading of about 13.5VAC. So... my question is, if I did not have the wiring diagram how would I know whether the circuit was AC or DC because I am getting what looks like valid readings from both on my meter?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Expert Member

Do you have a couple of LEDs and a 1/4W 5.6k resistor?
If so, wire the LED's back-to-back (anode to cathode, cathode to anode) in parallel, and the 5.6k resistor in series with them.
Then connect that across the voltage.

If both LEDs light, then it's AC. If only one lights, it's DC.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtWookie For This Useful Post:
PackratKing (10-20-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 AM

You could look at the waveform at various points in the circuit, using an oscilloscope. Otherwise, you may have to do a lot of guesswork. I should think that a pulsating d.c. current would give you both d.c. and a.c. readings on some types of meter.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Expert Member

Oscilloscopes are great - if you happen to have one. Since this board is oriented towards beginning to intermediate level hobbyists, most of the members won't have an O'scope handy.

A couple of LEDs and a resistor is pretty low tech, but it's cheap, easy, and will get the job done.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks for your answers. I was hoping there was an easy way that maybe I just didn't know about. But, you have answered my question. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Maybe the ac voltage is actually a result of the back emf produced by the motor.

Did you measure the 30 V dc / 13.5 V ac with the motor connected and running? Try measuring the voltage with the motor disconnected so that back emf is not a factor. And/or try measuring the voltage with the motor connected but stalled (hold the rotor stationary).
Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 PM

The "old jukebox" may be running the DC motor from rectified AC but with no filter caps. That was common in some 1950's equipment, I have a 1950's battery charger that does the same thing.
Roman Black - PICs and electronics. Author of BTc PIC-sound encoder, Shift1-LCD project, the TalkBotBrain talking PIC controller, LiniStepper open-source microstepping motor driver, the Black Regulator 2-transistor SMPS, and probably some other stuff; www.RomanBlack.com
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Rectifying diodes
Worksheet Basic oscilloscope operation
Textbook The Silicon-Controlled Switch (SCS) : Thyristors
Textbook The Silicon-Controlled Rectifier (SCR) : Thyristors
Textbook Thyristors : Solid-state Device Theory