All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Default Low Pass Response in LTSpice

Hi guys.

I've found this awesome program called LTSpice which lets you model circuits, and I've been playing around with it today.

I put in a simple low pass filter, and when I tested it, I got the response.

May I ask what causes the sudden change in attenuation?

Also, I am not aware of an equation to find the gradient of the response - does anyone know one?

Many thanks for your time,

Sparky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LPF1.jpg (105.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:55 PM

It is a nice discovery. Some of us have known about it for almost a decade or more.

It is a "feature" of the capacitor that you cannot chnge the voltage across it instantaneously. As the frequency of the generator goes up tha capactitor cannot keep up with the input because it takes time to move charge onto and off of the plates.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 AM

The equation for the filter is here. The reason your response looks rather odd is the the rolloff frequency of your filter is .006Hz and you are plotting the circuit with a linear frequency scale out to 20kHz. Typically you use a log frequency scale (octave or decade in LTspice) to plot frequency response. So on your simulation command, change the Type of Sweep to Octave or Decade, the Number of Points to 10, the Start Frequency to .0001 and the Stop Frequency to 10, to get a more normal looking plot.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Flip-flop circuits
Worksheet Active filters
Worksheet Negative feedback opamp circuits
Worksheet Elementary amplifier theory
Worksheet Design Project: Audio tone control
Worksheet Passive filter circuits
Worksheet Mixed-frequency signals