All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Software, Microcomputing, and Communications Forums > Programmer's Corner

Notices

Programmer's Corner Discussion forum for all aspects of programming and software engineering. Any software programming language welcome: C, C++, C#, Fortran, Java, Matlab, etc.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 PM

Default Using a PIC to program keypad?

Hello,

I was learning PIC BASIC language along with assembly, then I came up to a project which requires inputs of external keypad and the aim is to change the state of a particular port when 4 subsequent inputs of the keypad matches with the programmed.

In short, a lock system with 4 number password. Also in the project it asks to "inform" whether or the numbers pressed were correct or not.

Do you have any suggestions? I just have got blank trying to think how to make the computer realize that certain number matches certain bits.

Please help me on this one!

Thank you
Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 AM

Hi doodyman (hope you're not Arabic?!).

It helps to draw out a flowchart, in a paint program or just on paper. This lets you create a procedure, simple and neat, without code writing getting in the way and confusing you. Once you know exactly what the proedure is, writing the code gets easy.

Maybe a procedure a bit like this (psuedo code);
Code:
if(new key is received)
{
  //first move previous inputs down
  d = c
  c = b
  b = a
  // add in new key
  a = new_key
  // test for a match
  if(a=='h' && b=='e' && c=='l' && d=='p') openlock()
}
Select All
your flowchart procedure might also include a timeout period, or safety lockout after a bad 4digit code is entered etc.
Roman Black - PICs and electronics. Author of BTc PIC-sound encoder, Shift1-LCD project, the TalkBotBrain talking PIC controller, LiniStepper open-source microstepping motor driver, the Black Regulator 2-transistor SMPS, and probably some other stuff; www.RomanBlack.com
Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I just have got blank trying to think how to make the computer realize that certain number matches certain bits.
I think that means being stuck on the actual keypad scan routine
(ie looking at bits on ports),
but there are so many tutorials dealing with interfacing a pic with a keypad,
I don't think it could be made any easier.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Sum-of-Products and Product-of-Sums expressions
Worksheet Boolean algebra
Worksheet Microcontroller principles
Worksheet Digital display circuits
Worksheet Karnaugh mapping
Worksheet Numeration systems
Worksheet Class A BJT amplifiers