All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSoftware View Post
Maybe the OP should watch this, before deciding to fiddle with big transformers. The big flame ball was from a transformer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkDCS8xeobg
That's one of my favourite youtube clips, the original is longer and starts recording from early dawn and continues till its pretty much light.

Another favourite is a clip of the huge arc drawn by gantry mounted moving contacts on a central grid substation.

Probably at least 275kV.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrobay View Post
Thank you, I dare say Ive encountered some very strange assumptions here.I appreciate the expertise here from some members. The reason Im asking is that the Thai people will never admit it if they are wrong ( saving face )Their so called engineers are equivalent to a two year technician in the West.They have to import engineers for skytrains, bridges and so on.
I understand that these transformers are from France. But I suspect the Thais botched the installation part.
Again for a science related forum Im surprised at some of the above assumptions. This also happened on another thread that was a purely academic guestion.
I hope we didn't offend you, I apologize if I did. I also hope you understand that some of us are from areas where metal theft is very prevalent and your question by itself would appear suspicious to someone from such an area. Especially here on the internet where we really no nothing about each other.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Thumbs down

Whether those French transformers are finally going to be stolen, sold, disconnected, disassembled, buried or left as is, basing the chances of a safe handling on the absence of humming sounds crazy if not ridiculous.

Better bring a French electrical engineer with suitable equipment to test them before attempting anything.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is
Old 12-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atferrari View Post
Whether those French transformers are finally going to be stolen, sold, disconnected, disassembled, buried or left as is, basing the chances of a safe handling on the absence of humming sounds crazy if not ridiculous.

Better bring a French electrical engineer with suitable equipment to test them before attempting anything.
.............or throw a bicycle among the overhead insulators/cables.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 PM

some of the ground mounted transformers now days are epoxy impregnated, and dont hum very much. the older oil filled ones are usually found in substations or on poles.
cliff
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,