All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > Homework Help

Notices

Homework Help Stuck on a textbook question or coursework? Cramming for a test and need help understanding something? Post your questions and attempts here and let others help.

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Sgt.Incontro Sgt.Incontro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: (GMT + 0)
Posts: 47
Default RLC Circuit Current

Hi all,

I need help with the first question from this problem sheet I am doing. Of course I am not asking anyone to just post the answer, but some guidance in the right direction would be appreciated. That way I can attempt it, and post my answer for scrutinizing ...

Question:



Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2013, 12:32 PM
WBahn WBahn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Larkspur, Colorado
Posts: 8,068
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Let's do it the other way around. Post YOUR best attempt to solve YOUR homework problem -- it doesn't have to be complete or correct, but it does have to be present. We can then use that to see where you are and then provide feedback to help move you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Sgt.Incontro Sgt.Incontro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: (GMT + 0)
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBahn View Post
Let's do it the other way around. Post YOUR best attempt to solve YOUR homework problem -- it doesn't have to be complete or correct, but it does have to be present. We can then use that to see where you are and then provide feedback to help move you in the right direction.
Hi WBahn,

Thanks for your reply.

I think the lecturer only wants a brief description of what happens, and not a complex mathematical answer.

Of course I am able to provide you with what I think:

To begin with, for part a), I wrote:

When voltage is first applied after closing the switch (at t=0), the inductor impedes current flow in the circuit, so the current = 0. After time t=0, the current will follow a second order natural response characteristic as shown below

((P.S: I may be also interested in the mathematical answer later on.))
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM
WBahn WBahn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Larkspur, Colorado
Posts: 8,068
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Incontro View Post
Hi WBahn,

Thanks for your reply.

I think the lecturer only wants a brief description of what happens, and not a complex mathematical answer.

Of course I am able to provide you with what I think:

To begin with, for part a), I wrote:

When voltage is first applied after closing the switch (at t=0), the inductor impedes current flow in the circuit, so the current = 0. After time t=0, the current will follow a second order natural response characteristic as shown below

((P.S: I may be also interested in the mathematical answer later on.))
You answer is basically correct, but it would be good to indicate if the initial current (after t=0+) will be positive or negative.

How about a shot at part b)?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Sgt.Incontro Sgt.Incontro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: (GMT + 0)
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBahn View Post
You answer is basically correct, but it would be good to indicate if the initial current (after t=0+) will be positive or negative.

How about a shot at part b)?
Hi WBahn,

Thanks for your reply.

I will post my answers for b) once I get home, are you able to just write the characteristic equation for part A or describe it so I know whether my answer is correct? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 AM
WBahn WBahn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Larkspur, Colorado
Posts: 8,068
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Incontro View Post
Hi WBahn,

Thanks for your reply.

I will post my answers for b) once I get home, are you able to just write the characteristic equation for part A or describe it so I know whether my answer is correct? Thanks.
Ah, no. Post your answer and we will look it over and let you know if it is correct and, if not, give you hints to help you find what is wrong with it and how to proceed. And again, we don't require full-up solutions. Just get as far as you can and show your work up to that point.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Sgt.Incontro Sgt.Incontro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: (GMT + 0)
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBahn View Post
Ah, no. Post your answer and we will look it over and let you know if it is correct and, if not, give you hints to help you find what is wrong with it and how to proceed. And again, we don't require full-up solutions. Just get as far as you can and show your work up to that point.
Thanks. I only asked if you could do that so it would save time - as this is due very soon. (If I were to cheat with this question, I would only be cheating myself.)

Anyway, I have scanned my (mathematical) solutions for part a) and part b).

I will also upload the written explanation for part b) as I said yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Sgt.Incontro Sgt.Incontro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: (GMT + 0)
Posts: 47
Default

Solutions:

Part b) written answer:

As soon as both s1 and s2 are closed (at t=0), the current will be equal to V(0)/R, as the infinite instantaneous impedance of the inductor will act as an open circuit.

Part a) & b) mathematical answers:

http://postimg.org/image/somif17fl/

EDIT: Realized the silly mistake in part b) where I did the parallel impedance wrong. (Ignore that.)

Last edited by Sgt.Incontro; 10-23-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Sgt.Incontro Sgt.Incontro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: (GMT + 0)
Posts: 47
Default

Bump...... (>10char)
Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,


Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Class A BJT amplifiers
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors in active mode
Worksheet AC network analysis
Worksheet Characteristic Impedance
Worksheet Series-parallel combination AC circuits
Worksheet Resonance
Worksheet Series and parallel AC circuits
Worksheet Impedance
Worksheet Time constant calculations
Textbook BJT quirks : Bipolar Junction Transistors


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What can I say... still just don't get it? Transistors! rougie General Electronics Chat 37 08-13-2013 01:12 PM
Cascode Configuration Hurt_it_Circuit General Electronics Chat 23 08-07-2013 03:19 AM
Mesh Current Analysis for an RLC Circuit - Help! mdb Homework Help 5 02-13-2011 04:01 PM
Working Of 7805 Linear Regulator IC shankey_1919 General Electronics Chat 4 02-19-2010 11:33 AM
High voltage extremely low currents Ynot1980 Off-Topic 1 12-16-2009 11:32 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 PM.


User-posted content, unless source quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.