All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Software, Microcomputing, and Communications Forums > Computing and Networks

Notices

Computing and Networks Discussion forum for general computing technologies, personal computing, data networking, information technology, and computer systems engineering.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownout View Post
OK, so I put this on hold and decided to get the wired network working, since it seems I need to be connected to do updates and such, or at lease I should be connected.
Yes. An internet connection is required to perform updates and such (including installing ndiswrapper if necessary).

Quote:
So, I ran cable to the back of the house, where my 'new' lab is.
I like to do a new installation *near* the hardwired source. I can always move the box later. Just sayin'...

Quote:
However, it appears I don't have drivers for my network device (Atheros Communications Device 1091.)
Wow. This is the first time I've seen a wired NIC that doesn't have native support. You have some weird hardware! I found this thread:

Link

Here is a pertinent post:

Quote:
52 moshe nahmias 2013-07-28 12:53:47 EDT
Just updated the system and the card works out of the box with kernel 3.10
I am with fedora 19
What fedora and kernel version are you using? Without connectivity, you may be relegated to burning a newer install image onto a cd/flash drive and reinstalling fedora. Or, you could just get another NIC.

Quote:
So, I'm back where I started.
Quite possibly, yes. But consider it a learning experience

Quote:
I've looked for solutions. There seems to be different ways to go about this, but I think I need a network for some of the solutions.
You'll need the network for anything that doesn't already come preinstalled in the original image.

Quote:
And I think I might need to run make on the deivers, or kernel (or both).
Yes, but you'd need to get the source packages and the build tools. I suppose you could use "sneaker net", but it'd be easier and quicker just to reinstall. It is relatively rare these days to have to "make" a driver. I've not needed to do it for years!

Quote:
I want to pursue Linux as a development system because I believe it makes drivers easier, that is if I ever get it working.
Take this experience and keep it in your pocket. You'll find it useful in the future.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyd999 View Post

Wow. This is the first time I've seen a wired NIC that doesn't have native support. You have some weird hardware! I found this thread:
It's just a common GigaByte GA-78LMT-S2P purchased at CompUSA. I'm trying to use the device on the MB, and not a card. Nothing at all special about it. Next thing to try is to update the OS using a thumb drive. I don't know just yet how to do that. I tried using a CD but was unsuccessful. I think the OS didn't fit within the 700MB of the CD.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM

That card should work with the latest Linux Debian images.

https://wiki.debian.org/alx
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
E-book Developer

Quote:
It's just a common GigaByte GA-78LMT-S2P purchased at CompUSA. I'm trying to use the device on the MB, and not a card. Nothing at all special about it. Next thing to try is to update the OS using a thumb drive. I don't know just yet how to do that. I tried using a CD but was unsuccessful. I think the OS didn't fit within the 700MB of the CD.
UNetbootin is what I typically use to make a live USB version of a Linux OS, which will allow you to run the OS from the USB drive, or install it into the computer.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaspook View Post
That card should work with the latest Linux Debian images.

https://wiki.debian.org/alx
If Debian has ALX, then my device should be supported....
Old 05-22-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
If Debian has ALX, then my device should be supported....
My personal choice for a rock solid production server is Debian. The 'stable' release is a little behind the latest and greatest (which is great for mission-critical machines) while 'testing' usually is very current. I mainly run 'unstable' on coding machines to have the latest versions of everything. Debian 'unstable' is actually much more stable than most other distros main releases.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshuck View Post
UNetbootin is what I typically use to make a live USB version of a Linux OS, which will allow you to run the OS from the USB drive, or install it into the computer.
I'm in the process of trying this. Report upcoming.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:05 PM

A modicum of success. Using Unetbootin was a bust. I was able to create a live bootable flash drive that worked perfectly on my laptop, but caused errors when I tried it with my MB. Then, I tried liveUSB Creator. That was also a bust. There are some MB's which just will not boot from a flash drive no matter what you do. (I tried a lot of other things which I won't go into here)

So, I went back to the DVD method, and after more abject failure, I decided my DVD disk was damaged, either from the manufacturer or from my efforts to make a Fedora disk. So, off to the store for a new pack. Finally, I was able to make and install a Fedora v20 live DVD. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So anyway, the wired network is finally working, and I'm happy to leave it at that. I don't intend to move the system, so wired is fine. My Netgear wireless dongle is happily connecting my old Windows desktop now.

So, bottom line is, now I can download any programs I need in the future for the Linux system. Will be much better than downloading, copying, sneaking, uploading, installing... etc... etc... etc......
Old 05-26-2014, 02:46 AM

Sweet! It's time to download something like Netbeans 8 and get coding.

Tags
, , , ,