switch expert mod help needed

minkey01

Joined Jul 23, 2014
Hi. I have this reel-to-reel remote control. Well, remote for the 70s in that it plugs into the back with a 15 foot cable. Hah! See attached pic.

I would like to modify the buttons.

The way it currently works is this: If you hit the PLAY button it will play. If you hit the STOP button it will stop. FF and REV self explanatory also. Now to record you must hit REC and PAUSE at the same time, then they light up. When you are ready to record you then hit PLAY and it starts to record.

I would like to modify it to this : No FF. No REV functions. No buttons. Only 2 jack inputs. If I send in a control voltage into jack 1 it will play. If the voltage into jack 1 is 0 it will stop. If I send in a control voltage into jack 2 it will record. If the voltage into jack 2 is 0 it will stop the record.

Does anyone understand this schematic and how to modify it? See pic attached. I also have the rest of the reel-to-reel schematic, but I don't think we need it.

FYI: When reel-to-reels record, I believe the erase, record, and play head are activated. When it is only playing, only the play head is activated.

Attachments

minkey01

Joined Jul 23, 2014
let me streamline this question a bit:

how can i replace these specific physical buttons with the electrical equivalent activated by a voltage signal? would there be a circuit or ic i could get for each of these?

1) momentary spst push-for "on"
2) momentary spst push-for "off"
3) momentary dpst push-for "on"

anyone?

thanks!

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010
Ok minkey01

Let me try to understand what you mentioned in your post #1:

I would like to modify it to this : No FF. No REV functions. No buttons.
Only 2 jack inputs.

If I send in a control voltage into jack 1 it will play.
If the voltage into jack 1 is 0 it will stop.

If I send in a control voltage into jack 2 it will record.
If the voltage into jack 2 is 0 it will stop the record.

Note that there is a voltage source at the other end of the jack in order to apply to the device you intend to control.
By what you are going to apply or not that voltage ?. . . By means of a switch. . . or not ?
It however described: push button, switch, microswitch, Etc.

Or what is your idea.
Probably a jack that brings inside a battery.
Connect the jack and you will be applying a voltage.
Disconnect it and you're not applying that voltage.

So, let me know a little more about your project.

Thank you.

minkey01

Joined Jul 23, 2014
i probably need analog switches (bilateral switches) or maybe relays.

or something that mimics push buttons. i want to replace the push buttons with a control circuit. do not want to use a finger to push a button, instead use control signals to do the same as the original schematic.

i am having trouble figuring out what ratings i need and what components would work.

the control signal is in the 3-15v and 200 µa range. not sure what volts and amps (the controlled signal) are going through these original buttons. if someone could interpret the schematic and let me know, that would help tremendously.

i'll attach the schematics. the remote (TEAC 120) with the buttons i am replacing is in the lower right hand corner. just above it is where it plugs in.

make sense?

Attachments