All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Default Timer

Hello,

I am hoping one of you guys can help me out. I know very little of electronics, but I'm learning along the way. I'm working on some project and I kinda hit a wall.
I want a lamp to only burn for 5-10 seconds when I hit a switch. After the 5-10 seconds, I want to be able to press the switch again in order for the lamp to burn again (for 5-10 seconds). As my switch is a micro switch, I am looking for something I can attach between the switch and the lamp.
I've been searching the web, but I can only find time relays, or the sorts. But these are very expensive and more importantly very big. I'm sure there are other components. I just have no idea what I'm searching for.
I've come across kits for building your own time delay, but I'm looking for something I can buy and use right away. Preferably also a sturdy, small, solid one that can take some rattling.
If anyone can point to what I should be searching for, I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks for taking the time to read this

Regards,
Chara
Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Try a search on "cyclic timer switch". There are several that may do the job on ebay?

Could you replace the microswitch? When you say press the switch would a simple pnuematic delay switch do the job?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the reply paulktreg. I will try the cyclic timer switch.

Afraid another switch won't do. I'm using the the microswitch as a sort of pressure switch inside an object. So if you the touch the object, the light will go on. But thanks for the heads up! The pneumatic delay switch looks interesting. I might try to disassemble such a switch to see if I can get some parts.
Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM

What you are wanting is often done with a 555 monostable multivibrator circuit. Is your light AC or DC and what is the voltage and current?

This might do. http://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/i...nual_k2579.pdf

If you don't want a kit, Velleman products are sometimes available already assembled.

Last edited by tracecom; 05-06-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Don't have time at the moment, but if you are interested in building it yourself I can draw you something up. It would definitely be cheaper to buy off the shelf though.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Currently, I am using a 12 V/DC, 15 W light.
Thanks for the link tracecom. I'll try to search for the assembled ones.

Thank you kindly for the offer mister Marsden , but I'm looking for something I can buy and use right away.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Timer circuits
Worksheet Electromechanical relay logic
Worksheet Thyristor application circuits
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors as switches
Textbook Circuits and the speed of light : Transmission Lines
Worksheet Time constant calculations
Worksheet Basic circuit troubleshooting
Textbook CMOS 555 LONG DURATION FLYBACK LED FLASHER : 555 Timer Circuits