Timer

Charakomata

Joined May 6, 2012
Hello,

I am hoping one of you guys can help me out. I know very little of electronics, but I'm learning along the way. I'm working on some project and I kinda hit a wall.
I want a lamp to only burn for 5-10 seconds when I hit a switch. After the 5-10 seconds, I want to be able to press the switch again in order for the lamp to burn again (for 5-10 seconds). As my switch is a micro switch, I am looking for something I can attach between the switch and the lamp.
I've been searching the web, but I can only find time relays, or the sorts. But these are very expensive and more importantly very big. I'm sure there are other components. I just have no idea what I'm searching for.
I've come across kits for building your own time delay, but I'm looking for something I can buy and use right away. Preferably also a sturdy, small, solid one that can take some rattling.
If anyone can point to what I should be searching for, I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Regards,
Chara

Charakomata

Joined May 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply paulktreg. I will try the cyclic timer switch.

Afraid another switch won't do. I'm using the the microswitch as a sort of pressure switch inside an object. So if you the touch the object, the light will go on. But thanks for the heads up! The pneumatic delay switch looks interesting. I might try to disassemble such a switch to see if I can get some parts.
Thanks again.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Don't have time at the moment, but if you are interested in building it yourself I can draw you something up. It would definitely be cheaper to buy off the shelf though.

Charakomata

Joined May 6, 2012
Currently, I am using a 12 V/DC, 15 W light.
Thanks for the link tracecom. I'll try to search for the assembled ones.

Thank you kindly for the offer mister Marsden :cool:, but I'm looking for something I can buy and use right away.