All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Default Boost converter synchronous rectification implementation

Does anyone have good idea how to implement synchronous rectification (n-FET instead of Schottky rectifier diode) in simple single inductor boost topology?
Circuit bases on UC3843, 250 kHz, Vin 9-14.5V, Vout 18-34V, inductor peak current 25A.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Expert Member

Why don't you look at something like an LTC3787 or LTC3788 instead?
http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3787
http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3788
It's a better tool for the function you're trying to accomplish.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Thank you for advice! I am well aware of high end boost chips with integrated synchronous rectification. I have even run LTC3703 based circuit for my application in LTSpice. But I am old scool through-hole type and not very comfortable in SMD soldering.
I was hoping someone has tried something similar to this - http://www.radiolocman.com/shem/sche...html?di=105520
Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Expert Member

I took a look at the article you referenced, and immediately shuddered thinking of what was happening to the LM393/LM2903 that had to sink ~43mA current, when that was about 10x as much as it should have been tasked. They really should have used an LM111/LM311 instead.

I'm pretty old-school myself, but you will quickly find that all of the good new stuff is only made in SMT/SMD packages. While you might think that leaves hobbyists in the dust, that is not necessarily the case. It's much easier to make circuit boards for, as there are no holes to drill for the ICs; and soldering really isn't too bad if you use solder paste and a toaster oven; just takes some practice.

SMT/SMD resistors and caps are pretty challenging for me if they are smaller than 0805; I like to stick with 1206 or larger.

Manufacturers are driving the push to the smaller SMD/SMT packaging; they take less real estate on the PCB's, which means lower costs - and the package leads being much shorter means less parasitic inductance, so they can operate at higher speeds than DIP equivalents.

While it may seem intimidating to go SMD, try a few projects in it, and you may start to appreciate the benefits; the multitudes of newer IC offerings are certainly within your grasp.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Power conversion circuits
Textbook Synchronous Motors : Ac Motors
Worksheet Soldering
Textbook CMOS 555 LONG DURATION FLYBACK LED FLASHER : 555 Timer Circuits
Textbook Setting up a home lab : Introduction
Textbook Practical considerations : Inductors