All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Software, Microcomputing, and Communications Forums > Computing and Networks

Notices

Computing and Networks Discussion forum for general computing technologies, personal computing, data networking, information technology, and computer systems engineering.

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Mathematics! Mathematics! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ma United States
Posts: 1,022
Default

Quote:
A particular area can have more than one cable provider, but this is rare. It cost them a lot of money to build into a new area, and it's a lot less cost-effective when they have to deal with competition. So generally there is only one choice for cable in a given area. It's not a law of physics or courts, it's just an economic effect.
I understand your point. But if in theory there was 2 different cable providers in one area. would that mean if you lived in that area you would beable to use either one?

And also if there where 2 or more providers for cable in that area would that mean they would have to both run separate wires to all the area they are servicing house and telephone poles? I.E on the tele poles would there need to have 2 separate wires for each cable company or can they share the same lines for 2 different cable companies? ( I am think yes they would have to have separate lines run for each cable company in that area to some extent but not sure if it would be the whole way or if there is some shared lines at some part of the network while connecting the houses )

Question related
The reason why I ask is it seems with mobile phone now a days the cell towers are shared so where ever you are if you have sprint or at&t ,or somebody else they all go thru the same cell towers? So kind of curious who owns the cell equipment or who pays who ?


Quote:
DSL is just the specific technology that phone companies uses to implement a digital network (e.g. internet) on top of the existing phone network infrastructure.
When you say existing phone network infrastructure are you referring to DSL using the POTS landlines to transmit digital internet , phone , and TV ( so essentially this method is just dial up on steroids )

Last edited by Mathematics!; 05-01-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 PM
bretm bretm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematics! View Post
But if in theory there was 2 different cable providers in one area. would that mean if you lived in that area you would beable to use either one?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematics! View Post
And also if there where 2 or more providers for cable in that area would that mean they would have to both run separate wires to all the area they are servicing house and telephone poles?
Maybe. That's up to them. If they come up with some profit sharing arrangement, or if one of them obtains carriage rights on the other's equipment through a law suit or other means, then there might not be separate hardware.

But honestly I'm not familiar with how this works. Everywhere that I have lived has only had one cable provider.

Quote:
The reason why I ask is it seems with mobile phone now a days the cell towers are shared so where ever you are if you have sprint or at&t ,or somebody else they all go thru the same cell towers? So kind of curious who owns the cell equipment or who pays who ?
It's true that many cell towers are shared by different carriers. Anybody with land on a hill and suitable zoning laws can try to lease it out to cell companies. But they're very particular about their locations so it's probably not a reliable money-making strategy. But a suitable location is probably suitable for multiple carriers, so sharing happens a lot. But it's not universal.


Quote:
When you say existing phone network infrastructure are you referring to DSL using the POTS landlines to transmit digital internet , phone , and TV ( so essentially this method is just dial up on steroids )
I'm referring to the landlines, but these aren't "POTS landlines". The POTS signal and the DSL signal share the same lines. The DSL digital signal is modulated to an analog signal using a higher frequency carrier. Then a low-pass filter can extract the POTS signal and a high-pass filter can extract the DSL signal.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Mathematics! Mathematics! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ma United States
Posts: 1,022
Default

Quote:
I'm referring to the landlines, but these aren't "POTS landlines". The POTS signal and the DSL signal share the same lines. The DSL digital signal is modulated to an analog signal using a higher frequency carrier. Then a low-pass filter can extract the POTS signal and a high-pass filter can extract the DSL signal.
Yes ofcourse but what I am getting at is they use the same line.
So if I got dsl service they could/I could hook up all my land line phone jacks directly like the way my OLD POTS service was hooked up or must it go thru the dsl modem for the phone part? I know the internet would obviously need the modem. But would/could the phone part just be hooked back up exactly like the POTS way since they are using the same lines (really don't see the issue either way). The phone part should be the same as the POTS in theory unless they are just digitializing my analog voice thru there dsl modem first before sending?

If that is correct then the only difference between the POTS phone landline old service and the phone part of dsl is that the former digitalizes the voice signal before sending so the transmission is completely digital. And the later one "POTS" one is digitalized in the middle somewhere between them and me .... so it starts out analogly and gets converted into digital.

If my thoughts are correct
This is essentially the only difference between POTS and DSL phone is an DAC/ADC as well as maybe some noise filtering for better clarity (but in theory not really necessarily for a function conversation) ?


And I have to say I am in complete agreement with you for the rest of the stuff... I really was amazed when I found out I am restricted to only one cable provider and one dsl provider. And they say its not a monopoly
Me I have to say I could give a **** if it was or wasn't a monopoly as long as there prices where cheap or free and not controlling/privacy issues LOL

Last edited by Mathematics!; 05-02-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM
bretm bretm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 151
Default

Yes, you could connect a POTS phone to the line, but a low-pass filter is recommended.

Quote:
And they say its not a monopoly
Who says that? Most public utilities are monopolies.
Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:35 AM.


User-posted content, unless source quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.