All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Smile radial can elecrolytic capacitor

hi all i am new to your forum i have a 275 watt guitar amp head that needs some new parts this is a vintage amp so parts are hard to come by rarial can electrolytic capacitor red pos 2200uf 63v dc can not isolated 7338 ka3132 2 pin is what is on the can they measure about 3inches long and 1.5 inc wide is there anothere type i could use as all the ones i can find are very small and clip on to a board (snap fit) and my ones just have wires solderd on to the ends any help would be great thank you
Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 AM

Modern electrolytic capacitors are much smaller than they were a few years ago and finding a replacement to fit an old circuit board is nigh-on impossible.

I have recently been servicing some boards form 1974 where I've had to replace the old axial electrolytic capacitors with smaller radial versions. I've had to carefully form the leads to fit the existing holes and, in a couple of cases extend the leads. Note that I hooked the ends of the leads and extensions around each other for mechanical strength. In both cases I've also used a hot-glue gun to secure the cap to the board too, otherwise there's a chance the leads could break in a few years.

Just make sure that the voltage rating is equal to, or higher than the original part.

This photo (sorry for the poor quality) shows the old cap behind the new ones - you can see where I've had to extend the leads and the blob of glue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0098A (Medium).jpg (49.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by P-MONKE; 04-29-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Pre-coffee typos
Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compon...z0sq5xZ1z0z819

Oops...These are axial, like the fat one on P_MONKE's board, but you get the idea. Go to a seller's site and search for it.

Last edited by #12; 04-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compon...z0sq5xZ1z0z7l5

Here are the radial leads.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #12 View Post
Just for your information - those links don't work in the UK as the browser gets redirected to the uk.mouser.com site, even if I copy and paste the link directly into the url field.

It's no skin off of my back as I don't need the parts, but I don't know where the OP lives...
Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM

I also don't know where nohope, the OP is, but I demonstrated that radial and axial lead caps of the size needed are available. The axial caps might just fit better now that caps are so much smaller than they were 10 or 20 years ago.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 AM

Default thanks

thank you i can get the same rated part just was not sure as it was so small compaired to the ariginal part thanks again
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Switched capacitor circuitry
Worksheet DC motor theory
Worksheet Capacitors