radial can elecrolytic capacitor

nohope

Joined Apr 29, 2012
hi all i am new to your forum i have a 275 watt guitar amp head that needs some new parts this is a vintage amp so parts are hard to come by rarial can electrolytic capacitor red pos 2200uf 63v dc can not isolated 7338 ka3132 2 pin is what is on the can they measure about 3inches long and 1.5 inc wide is there anothere type i could use as all the ones i can find are very small and clip on to a board (snap fit) and my ones just have wires solderd on to the ends any help would be great thank you

P-MONKE

Joined Mar 14, 2012
Modern electrolytic capacitors are much smaller than they were a few years ago and finding a replacement to fit an old circuit board is nigh-on impossible.

I have recently been servicing some boards form 1974 where I've had to replace the old axial electrolytic capacitors with smaller radial versions. I've had to carefully form the leads to fit the existing holes and, in a couple of cases extend the leads. Note that I hooked the ends of the leads and extensions around each other for mechanical strength. In both cases I've also used a hot-glue gun to secure the cap to the board too, otherwise there's a chance the leads could break in a few years.

Just make sure that the voltage rating is equal to, or higher than the original part.

This photo (sorry for the poor quality) shows the old cap behind the new ones - you can see where I've had to extend the leads and the blob of glue.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I also don't know where nohope, the OP is, but I demonstrated that radial and axial lead caps of the size needed are available. The axial caps might just fit better now that caps are so much smaller than they were 10 or 20 years ago.

nohope

Joined Apr 29, 2012
thank you i can get the same rated part just was not sure as it was so small compaired to the ariginal part thanks again