All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Software, Microcomputing, and Communications Forums > Radio and Communications

Notices

Radio and Communications Discussion forum for all aspects of RF and communication engineering, including antennas, modulation regimes, RF circuits and filter design, and telematics.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Default I and Q component

Hi experts,

I started playing with a system level simulator called CppSim by following thru their tutorial on a GMSK transceiver. Here's the link to the tutorial.

http://www.cppsim.com/Tutorials/gmsk_tutorial.pdf

Since this is a free software there's really no support from them. I am only in the first section of this tutorial, and i noticed something on their setup that I would like to get the experts opinion on this.

On Page 5 of the tutorial it shows the setup depicting a GMSK transmitter transmit a single channel to a GMSK receiver. I assumed the gain = 1/5 between the two block represents a 3dB loss over the air.

On page 8 and 9 it shows the wave form of the I and Q components of the transmitter, and the I and Q components come out of the receiver.

Here are my questions:

1) How is it is that they only use the I component of the transmitter to transmit to the receiver? Why is the Q component ignored?

2) At the receiver output, the Q component appear to be the inverting equivalent of the transmit Q component. But, how does the receiver know how the Q waveform is if only the I component is transmitted?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 AM

i didn't look at the link you gave but i bet they are using what is called a SSB transmission. there is a great paper entitled "Complex Signal processing is not so complex" which describes the method step by step. I wish i had stumbled upon that paper like 5 years ago. anyway, please read that... the method is usually called if i remember correctly a weaver SSB transmission method...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Complex Signal Processing is Not Complex.pdf (441.0 KB, 17 views)
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Flip-flop circuits
Worksheet Digital communication
Worksheet Signal modulation
Worksheet Multi-stage transistor amplifiers
Worksheet Fundamentals of radio communication
Textbook Standing waves and resonance : Transmission Lines
Worksheet Passive filter circuits
Textbook Special transformers and applications : Transformers