Hi i need help with my PCI16f84a Project.

EE_Rocky

Joined Nov 25, 2011
ok i have aproject to my Embbeded class and i need to make aproject like a Temprature or Humidity sensor Using a pic16f84a if someone can help i will be very thankful please if you could give links or codes for the project and how to wire the circuit assosiated with it thanks .

tgil

Joined May 18, 2011
Here's the approach: go to digikey.com and search for a temperature sensor. Once you find one that you can work with (you will probably want a through hole part if you are using a breadboard), download the datasheet. Almost all datasheets have an example circuit. The easiest way will be to use an analog sensor and just connect the output of the sensor to the ADC input on the PIC16F84A.

Good Luck.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You can find temp sensors with I2C outputs, then use a bit banging routine in the 16F84a

Or an offboard ADC with I2C output, and hook the temp sensor to the ADC input, this would allow you to measure other analog levels as well, once you have the I2C bit-banging routine done.

There are several I2C bit banging (software I2C) routines for the 84a for free around the net, both in assembly and C, so it depends on the language and compiler you are using to find that snippet.

I wish schools would update from that processor to one with SPI, ADC, UART built in, much more could be learned, and more frustration could be issued as assignments that way.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Yes, they really are letting the kids down by making them use that old clunker.

It's possible to read an analog sensor without any extra hardware except a capacitor, but since this is a school assignment I don't think I ought to give all the details.

EE_Rocky

Joined Nov 25, 2011
Yes, they really are letting the kids down by making them use that old clunker.

It's possible to read an analog sensor without any extra hardware except a capacitor, but since this is a school assignment I don't think I ought to give all the details.
well first of all thanks and it is acollege project for my embedded course

EE_Rocky

Joined Nov 25, 2011
You can find temp sensors with I2C outputs, then use a bit banging routine in the 16F84a

Or an offboard ADC with I2C output, and hook the temp sensor to the ADC input, this would allow you to measure other analog levels as well, once you have the I2C bit-banging routine done.

There are several I2C bit banging (software I2C) routines for the 84a for free around the net, both in assembly and C, so it depends on the language and compiler you are using to find that snippet.

I wish schools would update from that processor to one with SPI, ADC, UART built in, much more could be learned, and more frustration could be issued as assignments that way.
is there any schematic diagrams or something like that ?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Do you have to use the 16f84a, or can you use another PIC. Anyway since this is schoolwork. I suggest you go to your teacher. And say you need an ADC and a temperature sensor. I guess those parts have to come out of the school store. Then you do some piece of engineering. I am sure we can give your project a push in the correct direction. But do not expect us to just serve you a complete project with schematics and code on a silver plate.

EE_Rocky

Joined Nov 25, 2011
Do you have to use the 16f84a, or can you use another PIC. Anyway since this is schoolwork. I suggest you go to your teacher. And say you need an ADC and a temperature sensor. I guess those parts have to come out of the school store. Then you do some piece of engineering. I am sure we can give your project a push in the correct direction. But do not expect us to just serve you a complete project with schematics and code on a silver plate.
yes i have to use pic16f84a and i written acode and drew adiagram but i just need to make sure it operate correctly so i will go and buy the items that i need