Double tap, 60second timer with user optional circuit breaker :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokz_2005

Joined May 14, 2011
Hi this is my all in one thread for the whole project. I've realised instead of trying to find answers separately someone will be able to provide the whole thing for me :p

Power input = 12v DC

I would like to design a circuit which has 4 features.
1 - pressing a tactile switch twice to activate power.
2 - after the power has been activated i would like power to run for 60 seconds
3 - for whatever reason if I was to press the tactile switch again I want the circuit to break. and then double tapping the tactile to start the 60second again.
4 - I will have two tactile switches (both will cannot be pressed at the same time) but I want both switches to trigger two components eg 1x buzzer and 1x light bulb. .... but for example if the buzzer is triggered after the light bulb i would like the bulb to sop then the buzzer to buzz for 60 seconds.
Does it make sense? I hope it does.

I would really really appreciate it if someone could help me out and maybe I could sort something out as a gift for helping me ;)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
This is starting to get a bit complex to do in discrete chips, how about using some 8pin microcontroller and doing it in software? If you have a serial port on your computer, then programming it needs just few resistors and diodes, and it will also allow you to easily change the behavior later.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I help a lot of folks, but one of the most frustrating experiences I ever face is when the specs shift out from under me. Frankly I would be afraid to start on this one, as I would not want to spend work only to have another parameter (or have the old ones) change under me. Designing is work, hard work or you wouldn't be asking for help. In short, are you done making changes?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
If you design this around a micro you can change your requirements till hell freezes over. Which, after reading your threads, just might happen. :rolleyes:

rokz_2005

Joined May 14, 2011
I help a lot of folks, but one of the most frustrating experiences I ever face is when the specs shift out from under me. Frankly I would be afraid to start on this one, as I would not want to spend work only to have another parameter (or have the old ones) change under me. Designing is work, hard work or you wouldn't be asking for help. In short, are you done making changes?
Yup this is the final requirement for my project. sorry people

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Ponyprog works with usb adaptors too, I was just trying to go the easy and cheap way.
I mentioned it only because serial ports are nearly non existent on new laptops, unless ordered with it and I believe they will become very scarce on desktops too. Fortunately USB/Serial converters work nearly seamlessly.

rokz_2005

Joined May 14, 2011
To be fully honest, I only know the very basic of electronics. Im self teaching so When you guys advise me I will need a bit of detail. Sorry.

So what would be the best way to make this circuit? at the moment I am stuck on making a double tapping switch and a safety circuit breaker. Anyone ?? :(

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Well, I have to be honest with you too. I checked your first post here
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54488
and found that it was closed by Bertus. This topic sounds a lot like that one, so it will probably suffer the same fate. I can't help but conclude that any effort that any of us put into this will be for naught. I suggest that you post this on the automotive sites that have been mentioned in other topics.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@CDRIVE, good find.

@rokz_2005, do not try to cover an automotive subject.
It will fall out some time.

Bertus

If you try it again, it may result in a ban

Status
Not open for further replies.