Proofread Vol 3, CH1

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
Background: AAC gets numerous complaints about missing text. The worst offender is Volume 3, Semiconductors. In the process of writing the missing text sections, even whole chapters, I am slightly modifying all the chapters a little. All images which are not equations get a caption. This will make Volume 3 look more like Volume 2, AC, which has had this done to it.

Purpose: The purpose of this thread is to call for help in proofreading updated chapters, and provide a place to post errors found by proofreaders in Chapter 1, "Amplifiers and active devices". We have alreay recieved offers of help. This is the place to post errors that you find.

I have run the text through a spell checker, and diction which help with common grammer mistakes. What remains is the hard to find errors.

Chapter 1 had one new figure added, the first one in the chapter. There was some new text near that figure. All captions on the figures are new. Also a new "Attenuators" section" was added.

There was not much new in CH1. So, I would not expect many errors.
You can find the new Ch1 at http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/test/SEMI_1.html
Please post any errors that you find here to this thread

For an example of an error submission see this link http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=1411&highlight=error

Once we get the error out with your help, the new chapter will be brought online at AAC.

Dennis Crunkilton

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
For those willing to some form of proof reading, please be aware that you do not have to proof read the whole chapter. If you wish to proof read a small section, i.e. a sub-chapter say from topic header to the review section for that topic, please feel free to do so then post up that you have proof read this section.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have concluded my proofreading of this chapter and would like to outline the following errors/inconsistencies:

1. In the Amplifiers section: Consistency with statement of both the Law of Conservation of Energy and the Law of Energy Conservation - I would recommend the former to avoid confusion with Energy Conservation the practice of decreasing the quantity of energy used while achieving a similar outcome.

2. In Amplifier Gain section, worked example:

I(output) = (Av)(I(input))

Not:

I(output) = (Av)(V(input)) - As specified

3. In the example in the Decibels section of additive nature of the decibel scale the subsequent calculation has a conflict between the two by stating:

Power gain in bels is additive: 0.477 dB + 0.699 dB = 1.176 dB.

This should read:

Power gain in bels is additive: 0.477 B + 0.699 B = 1.176 B.

4. In the Attenuators section:

Spelling mistake it should read:

"Not considered in this section, unequal source and load impedances may be matched by an attenuator section. However, the formulation is more complex."

Instead of:

"Not considered in this section, unequal source and load impedances may be matched by an attenuator section. However, the formlation is more complex."

5. In sections T-section attenuator, Π-section attenuator, L-section attenuator and Bridged T attenuator:

Derivations quote K = Vi/Vo whereas the tables with resistor calculations quote K = Vo/Vi

6. In the Decibels Review section:

It states:

"When using the unit of the bel or decibel to express a voltage or current ratio, it must be cast in terms of the an equivalent power ratio."

It should read:

"When using the unit of the bel or decibel to express a voltage or current ratio, it must be cast in terms of an equivalent power ratio."

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I did forget to add to my above post, that I have proofread the entire chapter for spelling and grammatical errors. With the exception of differences in the UK and US spelling of words, I found no errors other than those outlined above.

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D E-Book Developers Forum 4
D Feedback and Suggestions 1