All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Default LDR

hey!
im using LDR in my project work...im using the circuit in the attachment...can you please tell me how to increase the sensitivity of the ldr?im using a laser pointer to activate the LDR.the LED doesnt glow to its maximum intensity.i want to make the ldr a switch
Attached Images
File Type: bmp JTD.bmp (95.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM

You need an amplifier. Do you know how to use a bipolar transistor to amplify the LDR's signal?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Use a comparator or transistor to read the LDR and then drive the LED. See towards the bottom of this page: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

This comes up every once in a while...

When I was learning electronics I knew them by the names of CDS cell (cadmium sulfide), electric eye, photoresistor, or photocell. I didn't learn LDR until after I joined AAC.

They vary between approximately 100Ω to several MΩ depending on the cell and light intensity. The variable resistor allows you to set the cross over point.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM

I have made the same circuit as you. I just used a double TTL inverter to have a transistor switched on at a stable voltage output. This means the transistor wont turn the led on before the LDR puts up a voltage higher than TTL high level (5 volts?).
Just use several resistors to experiment til you have the perfect voltage divider that works with your wanted light sensitivity. Your circuit will make the led fade on/off.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

The 555 circuit shown will overcome fading. It will either be on or off, no in between, since the 555 configuration is that of a Schmitt Trigger. The hysteresis of the Schmitt Trigger guarantee's that it will not flicker (unless the lights are of course). A 555 can be powered from 4.5VDC up to 15VDC.

Moving the CDS cell top or bottom on show will dictate whether the light turns on in the dark or in the light, it is an equivalent function to an inverter.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 AM

See my bike light project for a similar 555 circuit which used a capacitor to add lag to the LDR, subsequently making it slower to change.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Marsden View Post
The 555 circuit shown will overcome fading. It will either be on or off, no in between, since the 555 configuration is that of a Schmitt Trigger. The hysteresis of the Schmitt Trigger guarantee's that it will not flicker (unless the lights are of course). A 555 can be powered from 4.5VDC up to 15VDC.

Moving the CDS cell top or bottom on show will dictate whether the light turns on in the dark or in the light, it is an equivalent function to an inverter.

the circuit(555)is perfect,could you please explain it briefly?when will the output be high(i.e. when the LDR is above or below)?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

The configuration show will go high if there is light, so you need to reverse the LDR and R1/R2 to match the 1st circuit.

General info:
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags